Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #6581
Penelope
Casting On

Okie Dokie, here I go
Hi everyone. I've been checking out different knitting forums to see where I feel comfy, and this one is it...YEA!!!

I'm not a big knitter, not yet at least, honestly, who knows where I'll go with it, but I decided it would be fun to try something new.

I learned from my German mother as a child, messed with it off and on over the years, and I was able to teach my kids enough to do projects for classes (seriously, two college students who did textiles and needed to knit.)

We just got a new puppy a couple weeks ago and the days of spending hours in my sewing room kinda got shot, so I decided to knit.

I've done a couple pairs of slippers, an eyeglass case (out of sock yarn) and am now doing a bag with cables. I did the cables wrong so have already ripped it out to redo.

I have no stress over completing anything yet, I want to do things right and use this time to learn.

So that's that. My sewing blog is in my profile I believe. The photo (and user name) is that of my new puppy. I have 3 cats too. Sounds like a typical knitter to me.

Annette (Penelope's mom)
Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #6582
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
Hi everyone. I've been checking out different knitting forums to see where I feel comfy, and this one is it...YEA!!!

Annette (Penelope's mom)
Welcome.......you've definitely found the right "comfy" knitting forum...not to mention (why do we use that phrase when we are obviously about to do just that? ) the most helpful.

Just so you know...we love pictures and no question is to silly to ask...speaking first-hand (I've asked my share )

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #6583
purlnpotterytoo
Casting On

Hi, I'm an advanced knitter but hit a bump in the road
I'm knitting a lace hat and the directions calls for
K3-into-3 = k3tog, (yo,k1) in same st as k3 tog. So you sart with 3 sts then end up with 3 sts.
the pattern is from SeaterBabe.com Romantic lace beret

Thanks if anyone can help
purlnpotterytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #6584
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Right, you knit 3 tog but leave the old st on the needle, then wrap the yarn around the needle and k1 into the st again.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #6585
jra
Casting On

saying hello
I am Julie, living in Sydney, Australia. I joined the forum to help me improve my knitting. Hope it will be fun! my first question is does doing cabling use up more yarn than straight stocking stitching?
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #6586
Tinkysmom
Casting On

Tinkysmom
Hi, I hope I am doing this right. I deleted what was on this page bacause I couldn't find out where to write.

I have known how to knit since I was a little girl and have always enjoyed "trying to make something". Now I want to really learn how to make something. I am excited to try new projects.

I am working on a fingerless glove right now and have learned how to do the cable stitch. It looks so hard but once I was shown how to do the stitch it became very easy. i love the look. I plan on using that stitch on some other projects.

Well, so long and thanks for letting me join.

Tinkysmom
Tinkysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #6587
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Tinkysmom View Post
Hi, I hope I am doing this right. I deleted what was on this page bacause I couldn't find out where to write.

I have known how to knit since I was a little girl and have always enjoyed "trying to make something". Now I want to really learn how to make something. I am excited to try new projects.

I am working on a fingerless glove right now and have learned how to do the cable stitch. It looks so hard but once I was shown how to do the stitch it became very easy. i love the look. I plan on using that stitch on some other projects.

Well, so long and thanks for letting me join.

Tinkysmom
Welcome! This is a great place to hang out and an even better place when you're ready for your next knitting challenge or need help learning new techniques. If you can't get it here...we have the absolutely best mods on the boards. They're awesome at finding answers for us.

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #6588
pfrye
Casting On

Introduction
Hi,

My name is Peggy. I am interested in posting a question about a problem with intarsia - how do I post a new question?

Thanks - Peggy
pfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #6589
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Hi Peggy. You would want to go to the How To Forum and above all the threads is a large orange button that says 'Start a New Thread'.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #6590
cutshallest04
Casting On

Newbie here!!
Hi!! I brand spankin new to knitting!! Just practicing my cast on right now. Quick question - what do you do with the hanging yarn when you start your first line of stitches after cast on?
Thanks!!
Melissa
cutshallest04 is offline   Reply With Quote