Old 10-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #6621
fluresentcrayon
Casting On

Newbie sayin' hi!
Hello everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm fairly new to knitting. I first tried to learn about a year ago while I was quitting smoking but never really created a project.

Now, a year later after successfully quitting the cigs I have
decided to pick up my needles again and actually MAKE something. LOL

I'm sure I will have tons of questions but for now just wanted to say hi. Now back to my scarf hehehe

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #6622
NiRo
Casting On

Hi. I just joined today after referring to your site for a lot of my knitting questions.

You really know your knitting and I'm glad I became a member.
When I start to knit the "fancy stuff" I know you'll be hearing from me a lot.

Great site.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #6623
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
I have been posting for a couple of weeks but never introduced myself here so here I am.

I am a beginner knitter in Fort Myers, FL originally from south Louisiana. I am 35 yrs old, female, 1 great boyfriend, 0 children, 1 dog Sax (short for saxophone), and 1 cat Baby Kitty.

I am obsessed with reading, newly addicted to knitting, and I love my Xbox 360 and spend a lot of time playing video games. I also spend as much time as I can with my boyfriend's 10 yr old niece and 12 yr old nephew - we love to go swimming together, going to the beach, and I try to attend their school & extracurricular activities/sports as much as I can.

Thanks to everyone here who has helped answer my questions and encouraged my knitting. This has been a great experience and I'm looking for it to continue for a very long time and hoping to make some good friends and good knitting!

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #6624
agreen
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi I'm making a rotini scarf and the pattern is supposed to be very simple, but it has one thing i'm not sure of. After knitting the 1st row it tells you to turn and knit back into the stitches you just knitted. Not sure what this means or how to do this

Thanks!
agreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #6625
patriciams
Casting On

I've started knitting again after a long absence. I'm trying to make a ribbed scarf for my great-grandson. My question is, are purl stitches in ribbing supposed to be looser than knit stitches? It seems that my first and last purl stitches, before and after my knit stitches, are too loose. Are they supposed to be that way? Is there something I can do to tighten up these stitches other than pulling the yarn tighter, which I've been doing. Thanks, Pat Smith
patriciams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #6626
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, they do tend to come out looser. You can wrap the purl sts backwards, then on the next row knit them through the back loop. Search in the How To or General Knitting forums, this question comes up frequently so there's a few threads there. And posting your question separately in either one of them would probably get you more answers as not many people look at the Welcome thread so it's liable to get lost.

And welcome!

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #6627
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
Originally Posted by fluresentcrayon View Post
Hello everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm fairly new to knitting. I first tried to learn about a year ago while I was quitting smoking but never really created a project.

Now, a year later after successfully quitting the cigs I have
decided to pick up my needles again and actually MAKE something. LOL

I'm sure I will have tons of questions but for now just wanted to say hi. Now back to my scarf hehehe
Congratulations on being a non-smoker!!! I have been a non-smoker for almost 2 yrs.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #6628
Mikeyathome
Casting On

Hi...
Hi Everyone...

I'm married with two children and am a shift worker, with long boring hours. My grandmothers taught me to knit plain years and years ago, I found a cable blanket I wanted to knit... oh my what was I thinking. Well anyways my name is Michelle...
Mikeyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #6629
margiec
Casting On

New to the Forum!
Hi, I just learned about the forumn and this wonderful website. I am excited about the opportunity to interact with other knitters. I learned to knit while in college, but became a serious knitter about 5 years ago when my children finished college and began their own families. I see this as an opportunity to share ideas and gain knowledge and expertise. Margie
margiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #6630
fadeout
Casting On

Hi! I just started knitting a week ago! haha

I decided I wanted to do something creative in my life, and I kind of learned to crochet a bit from some coworkers, but it was a bit frustrating to me because I kept losing stitches around the ends of rows. I gave knitting a try because I like the look of it, and the idea of having something I made to wear! I actually enrolled for a knitting class, and having the instructor there to give me confidence what I was doing was correct really helped me a lot. I found knitting to be a bit easier because the needles make it very obvious where your stitches are.

Anyway, I just completed 1 fingerless handwarmer (working on the second)! I am going to be trying new projects to push myself further and I'm sure I will use the forum to get some help from more experienced knitters.
fadeout is offline   Reply With Quote