Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #6661
graceypoo
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
It will be a little smaller on the size 7s but you can still knit it, though with the sugar and cream, the larger needles are easier to knit with. The needle size on the labels is to classify the yarn into a weight range, patterns can use very different sizes. So you can either get size 9 needles instead of changing the yarn (and I'd suggest 32" long ones instead of 40") or knit it with the 7s and it's going to be smaller though you can add more stitches in 18 st increments.
suzeeq--omg, THANK YOU so much for answering my question so quickly. I am dreading having to use the size 7 needles, only because I am impatient..... though I've been incredibly patient with knitting (at least this first week, I have).

I undid my 1st project (garter stitch scarf) and trying to come up with something for my little nephews (perhaps some hats).

Suzeeq--what's behind your recommendation of doing the blanket on a 32" circular needle, vs the 40"? The finished product says it'll be a 33" by 39" piece--so does that mean I will cast on something that will be around 33" and knit until it is 39" long? or is it the other way around?

THANK YOU AGAIN!
graceypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #6662
jacksonstewart
Casting On

Greetings to all..I am new to this forum and trying to figure out this..
jacksonstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #6663
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by graceypoo View Post

Suzeeq--what's behind your recommendation of doing the blanket on a 32" circular needle, vs the 40"? The finished product says it'll be a 33" by 39" piece--so does that mean I will cast on something that will be around 33" and knit until it is 39" long? or is it the other way around?

THANK YOU AGAIN!
Yes, it's 39" long and 33" wide, and you certainly don't need a 40" needle. A circ will hold 2-3 times it's length and I've found 40" to be too long even when working on a 45" wide throw. I thought maybe the patter said such a long one because you may be knitting an edge around the whole thing, but it's knit as you go, so you really don't need one that long, the cord gets in the way. Maybe that's what the designer used because that's all she had in a size 9.

BTW, posts like this are better in the How To forum as a new thread where more people will see it. This thread is primarily to introduce yourself and say hi, though you can also do that anywhere.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #6664
Shellie10
Casting On

My name is Shellie. My husband is currently in A'stan so I need someting to do with my nights. We have 6 kids. 3 are married with kids and we have 3 at home. I'd love to learn to make cute hats, scarves, etc. I am a beginner. I've wanted to learn to knit for years and finally just decided to get down to it and do it.

Hopefully I won't be completely inept. lol

My first question is what is a good yarn to start with? What size needles? Just for learning and practicing. What would you all suggest is a good place to start?

Thanks for your help.
Shellie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #6665
suzeeq
Knit On!

Hi and welcome to the world of knitting.

Get a medium weight smooth light colored yarn, and for needles probably a size 9 or 10. Those are a little bigger than most people use for that yarn, but it makes the stitches larger so it's easier to see them and knit into. I really do recommend circulars instead of straight needles for a beginner. The straights are sort of awkward to balance along with trying to control the yarn and hand movements and make stitches and the circulars are more versatile and easier to hold.

Go to the Videos page and just practice for a while - learn a couple of cast ons and how to make knit and purl stitches, how to combine them for different stitch patterns and make decreases and increases. That should occupy your time for a few weeks...

Last edited by suzeeq : 12-21-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #6666
megan123
Casting On

what does KFAB mean?
Hi - i just started back to knitting again and i am making some headbands for my golfing buddies. The instructions state: K1, KFAB, knit to last 2 sts, KFAB, K1. Can anyone help me find out what KFAB means?
megan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #6667
suzeeq
Knit On!

It's usually written without the A as kfb - knit into the front and back of the same stitch. There's a video on the Increases page.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #6668
Shellie10
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Hi and welcome to the world of knitting.

Get a medium weight smooth light colored yarn, and for needles probably a size 9 or 10. Those are a little bigger than most people use for that yarn, but it makes the stitches larger so it's easier to see them and knit into. I really do recommend circulars instead of straight needles for a beginner. The straights are sort of awkward to balance along with trying to control the yarn and hand movements and make stitches and the circulars are more versatile and easier to hold.

Go to the Videos page and just practice for a while - leaarn a couple of cast ons and how to make knit and purl stitches, how to combine them for different stitch patterns and make decreases and increases. That should occupy your time for a few weeks...
Cool! Thank you!
Shellie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #6669
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello. My name is CoolWool and I'm a knit-aholic. Started knitting a few months ago on a whim. Bought the SnB book and then the Chicks with Sticks book. Watched a lot of youtube videos for technique. I've knitted a lot of scarves, a really big hat, a couple ipod cozies, a felted clutch, some wrist bands and bracelets, and now I'm working on my first sweater shell/vest and it's taking f o r e v e r . . .

Anyway, I knit every day and just wanted to belong to community of folks that enjoy the same hobby. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys quite often.
CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #6670
AvnArmyWife
Casting On

New Knitter...
...Hello everyone. My name is Tyakeia (or Ty for short). I'm a super new knitter. lol I seem to only be able to do purl knits and I finally learned how to close my knits. I'm still learning as I go, but so far I enjoy it, or at least I enjoy buying the yarn for the patterns I hope to knit one day. I currently have 5 projects I'm "SUPPOSED" to be working on, but I can't even figure out how to make sure the sizes are correct. lol I hope I get a chance to meet new ladies (in my area or not) and have a great time learning to knit (and crochet)
AvnArmyWife is offline   Reply With Quote