Old 09-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #6841
alison75
Casting On

Just starting ...
hi everyone, im new to knitting never done it before. I love to sit on the couch and do stuff while watching tv so i think i will really enjoy it. when i was a kid i would do latch rugs and those finger knitting thingys with yarn.... Lol

i just signed up for a knitting class at michaels so i thought i would get on here and check it out. im very excited hope i can pick it up pretty easy, it looks a little confusing.

i do have a question though... what is the difference between knitting and crochet, which is easier?

Thanks
-Alison
alison75 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #6842
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Hi Alison!

Welcome to the KH Forum.

The answer to your question is "it depends". Also, you will hear a different answer from every single knitter and crocheter you meet. We all have our opinions, and are not afraid to tell you!

In MY opinion, if you want to make a basic scarf, crochet might be easier for you. Crochet uses one hook, and if your yarn slips off the hook, it's easy to fix it. Knitting uses two needles, and all the stitches on each row are "live", so if one of them slips off, it takes a bit more work to repair the damage.

But, with practice and patience, knitting a basic scarf becomes just as easy as crochet. If you are a patient person, either knitting or crochet will be easy for you. If you are NOT patient, you might be happier with crochet.

Another thing to consider is this: What are you wanting to accomplish with the craft?

Are you interested in making sweaters, hats, mittens, and scarves? Then, knitting is the way to go.

Do you want to make afghans, blankets, and baby booties? Crochet might work better for that.

As you learn one of the two crafts, you will probably learn a little of BOTH of them eventually. When I knit a baby blanket, I like to finish it off with a crochet border.

Whatever you choose, just remind yourself to relax and enjoy it.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #6843
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by alison75 View Post
hi everyone, im new to knitting never done it before. I love to sit on the couch and do stuff while watching tv so i think i will really enjoy it. when i was a kid i would do latch rugs and those finger knitting thingys with yarn.... Lol

i just signed up for a knitting class at michaels so i thought i would get on here and check it out. im very excited hope i can pick it up pretty easy, it looks a little confusing.

i do have a question though... what is the difference between knitting and crochet, which is easier?

Thanks
-Alison
Hi Alison, and welcome to one of the friendliest online sites! Everyone here is patient, knowledgeable, and helpful to the Nth degree.

As for knit vs. crochet, Shandeh is spot on; it depends on the person. And most of us here know both to varying degrees.

I learned to knit from one of those Boye "Teach Yourself to Knit" kits. I'll recommend getting one of those because of the goodies included that you'll need eventually: needles, row counters, stitch holders, etc.

And the book has pictures that you can use to refresh your memory between classes, as well as some nice beginner patterns.

Have fun learning, there's nothing like playing in yarn!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #6844
Knitter158
Casting On

Hi. I just joined
Hi. I am Knitter158, and I live in New York. I am married, have 2 children and 5 grandchildren. I am retired.

I knit dishcloths, hats, scarves, baby items, toddler items and I crochet granny afghans.

Nice to meet all of you. This looks to be a great site!
Knitter158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #6845
agape
Casting On

Hi! my name is Carly. i live in new Brunswick Canada. i am an army wife. when i was a girl, i used to knit clothes for my barbies. My babysitter used to let me knit using her needles and i recall her taking my little projects and magically making them into lovely little dresses and the like. it wasn't until recently that i seriously have started knitting. i haven't Ben doing it for very long but when i volunteer at the local elderly complex and get tips and tricks there.

anyways, nice to meet you all! happy knitting :-D
agape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #6846
SugarBob62
Casting On

Just introducing myself! Came here with a knitting question and wanted to post a pic to help along with the question but I know I need 2 or more posts, so I figured I'd go ahead and do this real quick.

I'm 27 and a fairly new knitter. I got into crocheting a few years ago to make amigurumi which is really a lot of fun. But I dunno what drew me to knitting. I guess I wanted to try and make a scarf I think (something a little more "useful" I guess...) and I think crocheting is alot more intricate and takes longer to make progress, I prefer that for the amigurumi and small things. As for actual scarves and blansets and stuff I'm liking knitting a lot better. I know its a personal preference though...haha.

Anyway, I'm working on my first baby blanket for Project Linus, had never heard of it before but recently started volunteering at a children's organization and heard about it there. I just wish knitting/crocheting wasn't such an expensive hobby!!! But I'm sure I'll have lots of questions now that I will be trying to do that regularly for the organization...it's a great way to help those in need while doing something you love, so I'm sure I'll be around lot.
SugarBob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #6847
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Hi and welcome here. Knitting doesn't have to be expensive. Check out thrift shops and garage sales for yarn and needles; you can also recycle sweaters found at thrift stores for their yarn, and crocheted blankets and afghans too. Most of these items go for around $3-5 and provide a lot of yarn. If there's a Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Michaels or AC Moore near you, they often have coupons that can help purchase items. If you sign up for their email newsletters, you can print out the coupons they send and get a couple of things that way.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #6848
xchocoxbarx
Casting On

Im new, actually, i even haven't started yet..
im on my way looking for needles and yarn,
so i would need a lot of help here

any advice on where should i start first?
xchocoxbarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #6849
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help everyone!

This thread is for introductions. If you have questions about knitting please post them in one of the other forums so the post will more likely be seen and we can help you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #6850
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by xchocoxbarx View Post
Im new, actually, i even haven't started yet..
im on my way looking for needles and yarn,
so i would need a lot of help here
any advice on where should i start first?
Scroll up to the top of this page, and click "Free Videos". Amy has made several that will help you get started. Have fun learning to knit!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote