Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #6871
knittingpurl
Casting On

I have been knitting off and on for years and am having trouble with a particular pattern of a baby blanket for my Great grandchild. The instructions say to cast on 150 stitches and after about 3 rows of the pattern, I have increased stitches by at least 4, equals 154. The pattern reads as follows:*K1. yo. K5. Sl1. K2tog. psso. K5. yo K1. Rep from * to end of row. This is the "2nd row. Rows 1 and 3 are Knit and Purl respectively. What am I doing wrong? I know the blanket isn't supposed to get wider and wider?? I wonder if the pattern is misprinted? Can you help me out with this? I have taken the whole thing apart three times.
knittingpurl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #6872
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by knittingpurl View Post
I have been knitting off and on for years and am having trouble with a particular pattern of a baby blanket for my Great grandchild. The instructions say to cast on 150 stitches and after about 3 rows of the pattern, I have increased stitches by at least 4, equals 154. The pattern reads as follows:*K1. yo. K5. Sl1. K2tog. psso. K5. yo K1. Rep from * to end of row. This is the "2nd row. Rows 1 and 3 are Knit and Purl respectively. What am I doing wrong? I know the blanket isn't supposed to get wider and wider?? I wonder if the pattern is misprinted? Can you help me out with this? I have taken the whole thing apart three times.
It appears that you're increasing 2 in each repeat and decreasing by 2 in each repeat, so it should work out evenly. Also, each section uses 15 stitches, so that should work out to 10 repeats. I don't think the pattern is incorrect from what you've said. It's possible that you're forgetting to pass the slipped stitch over the k2tog here and there and knitting it in the next row. One way to be sure is to put a marker every 15 stitches to make sure that you don't have any extra stitches in any one section.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #6873
MommyJenny
Casting On

Just found you guys this morning :)
So I logged in to Google this morning.. I was in need of help to learn how to M1 .. I am working on some felted slippers ... I have been knitting and crocheting for 12 years. I will admit I an far better at crocheting then knitting. But, my family really wants these slippers. I also have never worked with wool before or felted. So I am in for a treat. Also, the kids want a pair each for their teachers as thier christmas gifts. In total I have to make 9 pairs.
In all of my time searching I am surprised I have not come across your site sooner. A wonderful site of information. I am so happy I have joined.. I am looking forward to many good chats and making many more knitting friends.

Jenny
Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #6874
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Hi Jenny. Hope you found the Increases page which shows a couple different ways to do a M1. There's a lot of resources here, welcome.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #6875
catherine514
Casting On

New here...
Hi, Catherine here from the Green Mountains of Vermont. I hadn't knitted in years but now I'm working on & eager to begin more projects.

My husband was diagnosed with cancer & I've accompanied him to his chemotherapy treatments. While spending time in the oncology unit, I noticed that many of the women were wearing scarves to cover their newly bald heads. There is a look to a "chemo scarf" so I decided to begin making "chemo caps" to donate to the unit, maybe to bring a smile to a few faces. So far I've donated 9 & the 10th is on my needles. With winter fast approaching, I am now beginning to make caps, mittens & scarves for the local "Mitten Tree" project. I also belong to 2 other knitting sites & hope to gather knowledge, ideas & maybe a few patterns & ideas from the experience of others and maybe to pass along a few patterns as well.

I look forward to daily visits here while I'm resting my hands!!
catherine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #6876
Tarat
Casting On

Hi! I've been trolling this site and the forum for a while now, and finally decided to join. I'm new to knitting(about 2 months or so) and want to learn all I can.

Fun fact: My cousin recently called me old because I started knitting. I'm 21
Tarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #6877
BarbF01
Casting On

Brand new knitter here
Hi!

I just started knitting less than 2 weeks ago, and am loving it so far. Although, I am finding it very easy to get confused when I start looking at knitting anything more complicated than a straightforward scarf. Any ideas/advice for a brand new knitter who would like to further her skills already?
BarbF01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #6878
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
Welcome everyone! Barb, when I started knitting I learned a lot just reading the forums and reading simple patterns. When you first start reading them they look like another language, but you can use the glossary linked above or ask questions and pretty soon it starts to make sense. Don't be afraid to try things, too. Just cast on 25 or so stitches and practice different things.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #6879
jewall
Casting On

I've been knitting for several years now, and I just bought my first spinning wheel so I can make my own yarn! It's an older one, so I'm not sure if it'll work... Hoping these forums can help! Thanks!
jewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #6880
nana74331
Casting On

Hello
I am very new to knitting (still learning to cast on and knit) then hoping to advance to purling and on to make something. I have crocheted since I got married a long long time ago. I decided that it was time to learn something new. I like the videos here very much.
Kathryn
nana74331 is offline   Reply With Quote