Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #6901
Tntgin4118
Ribbing the Cuff

New to the forum... But so very pleased to find you!
Hi, I'm Ginger.

I've been knitting about a month and finished my first project yesterday. It's a really simple garter stitch scarf with fringe. I found some pretty variegated yarn, some bamboo sticks and a book the covers the absolute basics. I'm very pleased with the results!

When I decided to move to the next lesson, I ended up with both frayed yarn and frayed nerves. Who would have thought that the alternate rows of purl and knit would make me so insane? There were suddenly extra stitches showing up! The book was no help in figuring out what I was doing wrong. I started searching the web for help and found this site. The videos are so wonderful and as it happens, someone else had posted a question on the forum that was exactly the same situation I was in... That accidental yarn over when switching from knit to purl was the problem.

I've registered so I can learn more and maybe someday can offer to help others. Thanks to the forum owner and all the moderators and oldbies. You folks have put together something really special here!

All the best,

Ginger
Tntgin4118 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #6902
Flint
Casting On

Heya all! I used to knit and crochet as a kid, but I left it off for a long time. Last June we got a rat terrier and I used the yarn and crochet hooks I'd had for years to make him some little sweaters! I used the internet to learn how to read patterns and make all the different stitches, and from there I started going nuts!

Knitting is an extremely new skill for me, and I don't like it as much as crochet, but I do use it a lot to accent my crochet projects. This site is pretty much exactly what I've been wishing for the last few months - finally! A place where I can ask questions of other people! Searching the internet hoping someone else had my problem just wasn't working well enough!
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #6903
Clairethecreator
Casting On

circular needle
How do you straighten out circular needles before knitting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Clairethecreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #6904
ChatyKathy
Ribbing the Cuff

I did mine in really hot water for a few seconds and then straighten them out. You dont want to leave the cable in too long.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #6905
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Originally Posted by Clairethecreator View Post
How do you straighten out circular needles before knitting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I wrap mine around my body, and watch tv for a while, with my arms holding the cable against me. My body heat loosens them up.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #6906
RebeccaH
Casting On

A novice
I was looking for a sewing class at my local community college, but all they have is a knitting class. While knitting scares me, I decided to register! Since don't want to look like a fool I decided to investigate some techniques before going to class. This looks like a neat site! I subscribed to the iPad app. Wish me luck!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #6907
NiftyNeedles
Casting On

Hey! I'm Dustin, but you can call me NiftyNeedles! Or Nifty, or Needles... or just N, or Double N. xD
Really, I don't mind what you call me as long as it's not rude. (:

Anyways, I'm a 17 year old teenager, who has been knitting for about... 6 months or so. I started knitting simply because I went into my local thrift store and there were some Knitting Needles for sale, really cheap, so I got a pair. I picked up a skein or two of yarn as well for about 50 cents or so a piece and I was set!

I immediately went to the library and checked out a book about knitting, which didn't help me. At all. Eventually I found this website though and I picked up the skills extremely quickly.

I finally decided to make an account today. (:

Nice to meet you all!
NiftyNeedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #6908
colleen114
Ribbing the Cuff

just starting out
Hi everyone! I'm really new to knitting and brand new to this site. I'm working on my very first knitting project, which is a scarf in the style of those two-color chunky-striped scarves from the early Harry Potter movies. It's knit in the round and takes forever. I have three stripes of each color so far, slooowly working my way up to ten blue and nine bronze (but my yarn is more gold than bronze) stripes. It's been really fun... a friend who knits got me started out, and your videos helped me learn how to change colors when I got to the end of my first stripe. My goal is to finish this thing while it is still scarf-wearing weather outside.
colleen114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #6909
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum everyone!
Our forum is a great way to learn more about knitting, and make crafty friends.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #6910
HangingChads
Casting On

Thank you Amy. I have wanted to learn how to knit for a long time. I know how to crochet, but knitting seems to be more intimidating. Did I mention I am a guy? I like sweaters and I am crazy about DIY projects. I am also big into charity and I want to make blankets to give away anonymously. They don't have to look great, just be warm. I would like to use remnant yarn and I am hoping to get people to pitch it to me.
HangingChads is offline   Reply With Quote