Old 12-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #6911
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Hi there, welcome. We have a few other guys who hang out here, it's all good. You can pick up yarn really cheap at thrift stores and buy nice sweaters for around $3 in them you can unravel and recycle the yarn. Crocheted afghans are another thing you can buy there inexpensively and as crochet takes about one third more yarn, there's a lot of yardage in a big one.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:32 AM   #6912
HangingChads
Casting On

Originally Posted by welshdave View Post
Hi everyone

I'm Dave and I live in the UK. I'm 25, and have recently taken up knitting. I was taught how to knit by my grandmother at a young age, and found that it was very easy to pick it up again. I love the videos on this site - they're very helpful in learning techniques I've not come across before.

At the moment I'm knitting an afghan quilt - I've done about 20 squares out of the 112 required, so quite a way to go yet! It'd be interesting to see if there are a) any male knitters here, and b) any in their twenties!

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave. I just joined tonight and I also just bought my first set of knitting needles. I learned how to crochet a long time ago, but I haven't done it in a long time. I want to make blankets and things for the disadvantaged. I am 40, it surprises me that an even younger man is interested in knitting, but I saw a seventeen year old boy on the forum earlier tonight when I started looking around. I like to talk to people, but I don't really like to get out very much.
HangingChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #6913
sampson001
Casting On

Hi from Penrith NSW
Well it's now Christmas morning, can't sleep, wishing everyone a happy Christmas and our thoughts are with Darwin, lets pray that the Cyclone moves off out to see. My nephew lives in Darwin, so it is a bit worrying.
sampson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #6914
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,378 Times in 3,061 Posts
A Merry Christmas to you and your family. Yes, we all hope for better weather in Darwin and for the safety of your family and everyone else in the area.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #6915
kconley
Casting On

Great site, very helpful. So glad I found it.
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #6916
Coloradogal
Casting On

Hi. My name is Mandy and I am new to this forum! Looking forward to meeting/chatting...Glad that I found you!
Coloradogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #6917
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

Hello hello! I'm Angel I'm 26 and here is my story...

I'm sorta new to knitting. I learned a basic stitch as a kid but never really made anything. A few years ago I picked up a book on knitting and taught myself how to purl and do a few other types of stitches. I ended up making a pair of leg warmers using straight needles. Then the rest of the instructions in my book made no sense and I made nothing else!

At the beginning of December a friend posted a photo of herself knitting on facebook and I decided to give knitting a try again! A scarf I thought! I can't go wrong knitting a scarf! So I walked into a local knitting shop here in Ottawa, Ontario and told the ladies I wanted to knit a scarf. I needed advice on yarn and needles. The ladies hooked me up! In 8 days I made my very first "Ribbed" scarf. I was so excited and so proud! After making my scarf I couldn't just stop there! I now needed a hat! So I went back to the knitting store with my scarf and told the ladies I wanted to make a hat! They hooked me up with circular needles and more yarn, but warned me I would need double pointed needles to finish the hat. I told them that I had went on youtube and found a video of a girl using circular needles giving step by step instructions on how to knit a beanie and she used circulars for the whole thing....

well lets just say I ended up having to cut my hat off my needles because I tried decreasing on the circulars and it got sooo tight. UGH

I was too embarassed to go back to the store and tell the ladies they were right, so I found another knitting store, bought DPN's and with the help of youtube, I finished my hat! It's pretty awesome up until the decrease where I made a few errors but I'm still proud.

I showed my hat to the new ladies at the new store, and they said I did a pretty good job, but noticed that I knit funny! I hold my yarn in my left hand. Also apparently I twist my stitches. I have been purling wrong this whole time. So my hat and scarf my purl stitches are all backwards!

Anyway now I am attempting to make another hat (purling the proper way now) and I am also attempting socks!! I have done only the cuff and I am stuck, so I am going to head back to the store tomorrow to ask for some help.

So yes this is my story from just this month haha. I am addicted! I really hope to be able to learn from all of you! Hopefully I will eventually be able to teach some newbies stuff too! Sorry for making my introduction so long but I thought it would be a good way for you to judge my skill level for future reference haha.

Can't wait to knit and chat with you all

xoxo

Oh! The socks I am currently trying to knit are Patons His'n Hers slouch socks. The pattern is in book 590 GG
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #6918
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Hi, yes you can use circs for an entire hat, but they have to be longer than the ones you had. You would have to use the Magic Loop method for the top, maybe single loop for most of it. You probably wrap the purl sts backwards, but if you always work stitches into the leg closest to the tip of the needle they won't twist.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:15 AM   #6919
NORASS
Casting On

Hello from China
Hi,everybody!I am very glad to join this forum.
Wish veryone have a happy and health new year 2012
NORASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #6920
mrsamke
Casting On

Hi! Amy here. I'm in between crocheting and knitting. Just because I'm so frustrated with reading instructions in knitting patterns. I just make blankets that's it. I want to become a pro at knitting. Looking forward to read other posts if there's any tips for me. Thanks!
mrsamke is offline   Reply With Quote