Old 02-28-2005, 11:30 PM   #61
Anne
Knitting the Flap

Hi Amy,

I went to Michaels yesterday with a friend to take another knitting class.

The sweet lady who teaches told me i was casting on the wrong way. ( All this time)....

I learned how to cast on a different way so my edges would look nice, plus she showed me how to knit a new color starting with every row.

Remember that throw i was going to knit? Every row has a different type yarn. Ribbon, Mohair, you name i have it...

Today i am practicing for the first time using circular needles.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #62
Kittykat
Casting On

Just thought I'd introduce myself... I'm Canadian, but living in Sweden for the moment. I'm actually attending school here on an exchange, I go back to Canada fairly soon though...I've always been interested in knitting, mostly watching my mom do it, but alas, when she tried to teach me, I was in highschool, and thus thought I knew it all...turns out I was wrong! So knitting didn't happen then. When I came here, I met up with some fellow Canadians who, like me were board, so we learned to knit, it was a logical decision. It was kinda neat, because everything my mom had taught me came flooding back and I was finally able to knit. So I'm still learning lots!

And thank you so much Amy, you're site is great, and has helped me loads!
Kittykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #63
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Nice to have you on board, KittyKat!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:52 PM   #64
wildforyarn
Turning the Heel

Hi. Just thought I should come and introduce myself. My name is Sara and I am from Wisconsin. I just began knitting about 6 months ago and am only on my second project. I have two children and a job and it keeps me pretty busy, so I am trying to find more time to advance my skills.

This board is great and this website has been a godsend. Friends told me about it and once I started looking around, I have been back almost every day since. Thanks Amy for putting your skills out there for all to see. :D
wildforyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:57 PM   #65
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Sara! I like your username.

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 03-02-2005, 09:12 AM   #66
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

Introduction
Ah, I see this is where everyone pops in to say "hello"

My name is Karen and I'm from the Netherlands. I once learned to knit (and crochet and do needlepoint and make lace etc etc) from my mum when I was little but haven't done anything with those skills from about the age of 13/14 and up. Recently I picked up knitting again and found that I still 'sort of' knew how to get things done but did not remember exactly.

Someone who saw me write about it in my journal (*points to Miss Bummble*) kindly pointed me to this website and it's been a GREAT help! I watched most of the video's for the basic stitches and found out I actually know all of them already, so now I'm using them to help me understand the English names for the different stitches

Sofar I've only done test-cloths, just to practice but I've found a nice bag on the free patterns page (the chunky hip bag) which I will be buying yarn for tomorrow and I'll finally start on something a bit more useful and challenging than just these slaps of cloth I've been doing sofar

Amy, I understand it's your site; it's absolutely amazing and I thank you for all your trouble. It makes HUGE differences for me in understanding English/American patterns that I find online.

sincerely,

Karen.
SimplyKaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #67
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Karen!

Hmmmm, maybe I should put this in the title: "Introduce yourself!" There, now it's official!

Amy

Martha Graham
Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 PM   #68
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Okay, well, since it's official....

I think I found and joined this site about a week after it started. I started knitting at the beginning of the year. Been coming here almost every day since I joined. I live in Alberta, Canada and can't wait to start knitting sweaters. That is going to be my specialty one day, since I have many opportunities this far up north to wear them :D

I am a happily married stay-at-home-mom with an extremely cute 20 month old son. My other hobbies, besides knitting, include: reading, Pilates and playing World of Warcraft (online computer game).

I have met a lot of people since joining these boards and look forward to meeting more people. This place is a great community.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #69
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
KellyK's intro
Hello, all!

First, THANKS AMY for your generosity of time and talent! YOU are quite a chick!

As for me, I just started knitting about a month ago & have QUICKLY become addicted! Here's what Ive got under my belt so far:
3 scarf & matching purse sets
1 scarf for me (all above with fat wool blend & eyelash held together)
1 toddler scarf/hat/babydoll hat set
1 baby booty

Here's what I have on the horizon:
2nd baby booty (tonight)
bathroom rug (loopy with big fat cotton)
doubleknit hats for DH & bro
sweater for chihuahua (pictured below)

I am 34 years old. Ive got 3 dogs and 3 parakeets. I love any living thing with fur (including my hubby), fins or feathers! My family is pictured below.

This August will be our 10th wedding anniversary & we're going to Costa Rica! We're birdwatchers and will also love monkeywatching, dolphinwatching, tapirwatching, etc. while we're there.

Im an exec asst & development (fundraising) coordinator for a local retirement community.. Ive been here 6 years and LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. I can bring my pooches to work and I get hugs every day.

I think that's about it.....
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	maddie_sophie_howie.jpg
Views:	1315
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	19262  Click image for larger version

Name:	howie___al_sleeping.jpg
Views:	1336
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	19263  
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #70
fiberfanatic
Casting On

Fanatic checking in - Intro
Hi everyone!

Another thanks to amazing Amy, you've really been a great help.
I learned to knit (Continental) many years ago - my mother taught me when I was about 10. I fell in love with yarn then, still can't keep my hands off the stuff. I did a lot of weaving, still have the loom, and always will but it's gathering dust these days as I've been wanting something more portable.
I really needed some help getting started again with knitting, now I've actually finished baby blanket, a little girls lacy poncho, several caps, scarves, etc.

Many more projects to come, I can't wait!