Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #7291
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,286 Times in 2,973 Posts
Welcome betsyelise! We're glad to have you join us. It sounds like you have lots of experience with knit and crochet. Thanks for joining the forum.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #7292
svjknit
Casting On

Hi everyone! I have been an avid knitter for years, and have been coming to this site for tips and reminders on a (very) regular basis.

This is my first forum, so please forgive me for faux pas I may make.

I have made several hats, scarfs and sweaters, and am about to tackle my first "heirloom" project: an Aran blanket. I found a stunning pattern while clearing out my gran's attic, a pattern she used as gifts for the births of her 3 grandchildren.

I love the idea of carrying on the tradition, and my brother and his wife are expecting their first in March! So the timing is perfect.

My question is superwash vs. non-superwash yarn. Any thoughts? Or perhaps someone could direct me to the appropriate forum thread?

Cheers! for Toronto
svjknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #7293
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,507 Posts
Hi & welcome, svjknit. Your heirloom blanket sounds wonderful. For a baby item I'd want to use superwash. They do have a way of messing things up and with a new baby handwash items could get into the washer by mistake and that could be heartbreaking. When I had babies I think I did laundry while I was asleep.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #7294
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Welcome. What a lovely tradition to carry on. I agree with GG, superwash is worth it for the convenience for new families. I hope you'll let us see a picture of the finished blanket.
GrumpyGramma (08-23-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #7295
dalhousie
Casting On

Hi there - I'm new here and a novice-ish knitter - just done scarves & hats. I'm knitting an easy knit cardigan & am stuck already so have posted in the how to section titled "cast off or K2tog" so will look forward to some replies.

dalhousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #7296
adrian
Casting On

Hi!

I've just started knitting, and although I seem to be a slow learner, I am already really enjoying it and getting slightly addicted

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #7297
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Welcome Dalhousie and Adrian! Delighted to have you both join the forum. We love to get questions and also to have you post answers and comments, so you've come to the right place. As for adicted knittiers, that's us.
dalhousie (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #7298
Judeh
Casting On

Need help getting started.
I've been crocheting for years, I know the basics of knitting but haven't done it in a long time. I'm ready to get started again. I've tried to start projects several times, but lose count of stitches and honestly I can't tell a knit from a purl once I've done it! I need to get back to the very basics. So I can at least learn to tell my stitches apart! Any suggestions? Glad to find a good forum to join too!
Judeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #7299
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by Judeh View Post
I've been crocheting for years, I know the basics of knitting but haven't done it in a long time. I'm ready to get started again. I've tried to start projects several times, but lose count of stitches and honestly I can't tell a knit from a purl once I've done it! I need to get back to the very basics. So I can at least learn to tell my stitches apart! Any suggestions? Glad to find a good forum to join too!

This might help. And welcome!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #7300
Judeh
Casting On

picture of stitches
Thanks so much! I enlarged it and printed it out. I'll keep it with my "stuff". I'd like to eventually knit things, besides scarfs, but need to learn to walk again before I run! Great to have support!
Judeh is offline   Reply With Quote