Old 03-06-2005, 05:01 PM   #81
twiggyann
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, here's the official introduction.

Hi everyone. My name is Lesley and I am a soaper/chandler. On our soaping forum, there was a sock knit along (yep on a soaping forum) and I don't knit but I crochet pretty well. We've moved since I last crocheted and I can't find my stash of crochet hooks and I really wanted to make socks, too. Since I *know* I have every size crochet hook known to man (just don't know WHERE I have them) I refused to go out and buy more. But I don't have any knitting needles so I can buy them. *laugh* Knitting socks was way over my head so I decided just to learn knitting. However until I found this site, I'm embarrassed to say that casting on was over my head. Soapdoc was nice enough to share the link to the knittinghelp website. Now I'm actually knitting and it LOOKS like knitting.

So far I've just been knitting a dish cloth pattern with the wrong type of yarn, just to practice. I'm getting the knit and purl stitches figured out so I went and bought proper yarn and proper sized needles to try a scarf. It should be completed just about the time the weather gets warm. heheheh

Anyway, I live in western Massachusetts. I have a day job, but my soaps/candle business takes up a LOT of my time. I'm married (13 years now) and we have two beautiful daughters (one is a lhasa apso and the other is a shih-tzu)

Thanks for the great site, Amy. I may actually have a successful project thanks to the videos.

Knitting Blog: http://www.mapleontheweb.com
It's moved if you had trouble getting in before!
twiggyann is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-06-2005, 09:52 PM   #82
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Kelly, Jan & Jeff! Kelly, what cute pictures!

Nice to hear introductions from some of you regulars, too! (Hmmm, guess I should have added that to the title sooner! LOL.)

A heart emoticon, eh? Good idea! Although you all have been very creative with that alt key: ♥ ! There's some other emoticons I've been craving for ages.

I think I'll go on an emoticon hunt and figure this out, finally, how to add more emoticons!!.... (to be continued.)

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #83
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Thanks, Amy....Im very proud of my babies. :D

Lesley, I giggled at your reference to your "daughters", and Im glad Im not the only one!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #84
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by amy
I think I'll go on an emoticon hunt and figure this out, finally, how to add more emoticons!!.... (to be continued.)
OMG AMY!!!! I handle "to be continued" as well as I do suspense and that is not very well!!! Sooo, how can I be of service to you????

Try www.download.com Then type in emoticons. (I got 41 results)

I go to this site whenever I'm looking for a specific type of program. You can organize your results by most downloaded, highest rating, file size, etc. They have many free programs as well as programs that you can pay for as well.

Heck, to add incentive, I'll use all of your new emoticons in my posts within a week if you add new ones really fast.

Eek, I can't wait any longer already. /whimpers[/b]
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #85
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

....Done! Enjoy the new emoticons! :happydancing:

Amy
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #86
*pixie*
Casting On

Hi all!

I've been lurking since the beginning of the year, and just now decided to take the plunge and register! I've been knitting since just after X-mas. I bought a learn to knit kit and found it to be completely worthless to me. I couldn't understand a single thing. Then I found Amy's videos and I've been hopelessly addicted since!

So far, my FOs include a few standard newbie scarves, dishcloths, hat, felted purse, and several pairs of socks which I absolutely love doing. My nearest LYS is over 40 miles away, but it's a great little shop. I do order quite a bit online and I have been known to send my DH to LYSs in bigger towns when he's there on business with my shopping list.

I'm also a soaper (hi Twig!) and between soaping, knitting, and keeping my family in line I keep pretty busy. I have a 7 yo DD and 4 yo DS, plus we added 2 black lambs who are all of 2 weeks old to the family last week. They were each a part of a set of triplets, and their moms couldn't handle 3 so we get to bottle feed here for awhile.

I love this site and have learned so much already!
*pixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:36 AM   #87
twiggyann
1st Leg of the Journey

Kelly *laugh* we mothers to canine-americans and feline-americans have to stick together.

Hi Pixie! I'm not sure I'm talking to you. I can't believe you didn't tell me about this forum. HRMPH! heheheh

Knitting Blog: http://www.mapleontheweb.com
It's moved if you had trouble getting in before!
twiggyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:37 AM   #88
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
It's been so much fun reading all these!! Guess it's about time to introduce myself!

I'm Susan and starting knitting a couple months ago. I'm 22 and had no knowledge of knitting but thought it would be a great hobby to take up as I quit smoking. I bought a learn to knit kit a couple weeks before I quit. ( I wanted to at least figure a little bit of it out before I quit to prevent needle-eye injuries during withdrawl!) Well, the kit kinda sucked so I googled and came across this site. This site and everyone here have really helped me figure this knitting stuff out. I'm still a super newbie but I'm slowly gaining more knowledge.

And...I have been a non smoker now for: One month, two weeks, five days, 23 hours, 25 minutes and 47 seconds. 1529 cigarettes not smoked, saving $229.39. Life saved: 5 days, 7 hours, 25 minutes.

Yup, thats right 1529 cigs!!!!!!!!!! I was a pack and a half day smoker and quit cold turkey with the help of the online Freedom From Smoking program through the American Lung Association.

It's amazing how calming knitting can be and especially in the early days of my quit it helped me relax and take deep breaths. I even synched my breathing with my knitting for awhile!

Well, enough bable I suppose.....But before I go I just wanted to share with you a couple pics of my baby Lucy . She was a neglected dog and my bf adopted her Valentines weekend and suprised us. She is the coolest dog
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1973e.jpg
Views:	1272
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	19319  
Attached Images:

Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jivewhistle For This Useful Post:
TEMA (12-01-2008)
Old 03-12-2005, 01:47 AM   #89
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Jivewhistle, I am so impressed with you!! Congratulations on quitting smoking. That is a HUGE accomplishment.
kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:45 PM   #90
square
Casting On

I found this website a few days ago. The instructional videos are great. I'm a fairly experienced knitter, but find them useful all the same. I realized last night that I've been using the "Norwegian" method for purling all my life and am now trying the regular Continental method which seems faster. I think I'll end up with something in between that and the method shown on that Finnish website.

I'm from Iceland, but have been living in upstate New York for the past few years with my husband and 3 daughters (well, the third daughter has only been around for the past 3 months). My grandmother taught me how to knit when I was about 8 years old, and we did quite a bit of knitting at school as well. I'm now 35 and have gone through knitting phases every few years. I've been knitting quite a bit for the past couple of years.
square is offline   Reply With Quote