Old 11-22-2004, 11:59 AM   #21
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

FeministMama and Kiri,

I just finished a video on Fair Isle knitting. Click here to watch it. A couple notes about it: It shows knitting both in Continental style and English style. If you've never knit in one of these ways, it's probably best to learn it from the basic Knitting videos in the "Basic Techniques / Knit" section. That is, learn that method first, on it's own, before you attempt to knit Fair Isle.

Also, I mispoke in the video. I said "Let me show you what it looks like when you're doing a few colors at a time," when I meant to say "Let me show you what it looks like when you're doing a few stitches at a time, of one color." (I'll re-shoot it eventually, but I put it up for you two. I think I'll also go slower, and demonstrate the two knitting methods more clearly, when I re-shoot it.)

~Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-22-2004, 02:02 PM   #22
Kiri
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you Amy!
Kiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:13 AM   #23
grannymary
Casting On

I would love to see videos of the Magic Loop and Two circular techniques. I've found directions with pictures but still don't get it.

grannymary
grannymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:08 PM   #24
Mara
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Mara Send a message via MSN to Mara Send a message via Yahoo to Mara
Help for us lefties?
Oh woe is the girl who wishes to learn how to knit but is only left handed. Is there any way you can show some tips for lefties?

I honestly thought I couldn't knit until I found this site and watched the videos. You make it SO much simpler! I just have to think backwards of what you do but it's so wonderful that I found this place. If you have any tips for lefties (other than the usual "Learn to knit right handed....you're using both hands anyway!" comments I get from every knitter I ask), I would be ever so greatful. I want to make my grandmother a scarf for when I go home this christmas. I remember when I was young and she tried to teach me to knit and I just couldn't get it. Bringing home something I made (even something as simple as a scarf) would thrill her to death and it tickles me pink to think of being able to do that for her.

So, am I doomed? Must I learn the right handed way? Could you possibly show some tips for a backwards gal like me?
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:38 PM   #25
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

GrannyMary. Sure, I'll put the Magic Loop techniques up. It might be a little while, though, because I have to find someone to borrow circular needles from! (I have a set of interchangeable circular needles, but their cables are too thick to demonstrate ML1).

If anyone has a spare pair of circular needles of the same size, and wants to send them to me, I'll send them right back! I'd be grateful not to have to buy a set just for the demo!...

---------------

Mara, there actually is a demo of left handed knitting on this site! It's hiding on the purl page, of all places. I'm not sure if it's the true left handed knitting, because I think that true left handed knitting may wrap the yarn the other way, and end up with the stitches oriented on the needle in the reverse way. If you want to really knit left handed, I would recommend taking a mirror, and holding it up to all of the videos on this site! Look in the mirror, and it will show you exactly what to do! Even on the decrease and increase stitches! (Just remember that your "left slanted" increases and decreases will slant to the right, and vice versa.)

I know I've got you all excited about using the mirror, but I'll mention this anyway. You may want to consider Continental Knitting, where you hold the yarn in your left hand. Yes, you will be putting the right needle into the left needle's loop. If you want, you can always put the left needle's loop "onto" the right needle. It seems to me that this could be done. I've heard that lefties often knit continentally, so it must work out somehow! Anyway, I'd recommend trying it, since with this method you would be able to follow all knitting directions easily, without having to reverse them. Most knitting instructions are given on paper, without a handy video, and reversing paper instructions would be a bit of a drag!

....But of course, you should do whatever is exciting and feels right to you!! Let me know what you end up doing! I'm curious to hear what works for you!

Happy knitting!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 11-27-2004, 07:08 PM   #26
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
Originally Posted by amy
Angela,
I re-shot the basic knitting videos today, and they're up. I need to re-do them, because I didn't get that good a shot of the yarn holding in the English Knitting video; and while I was shooting the Continental Knitting video, a lawn mower started up!
I would have re-shot them today, but then the clouds rolled in. So I'll have to wait to re-do them, and also to re-do the Basic Purl videos as I've planned...
Sorry I didnt visit sooner, my internet crashed, but I'm back in business! Thanks for those vids!!!

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:35 AM   #27
darkavatar
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to darkavatar
I was wondering if it would be possible for you to show a finished picture of the stitches you have videos for? I'm a newbie, just started knitting a few days ago and I watched both the knit and the purl videos, but I didn't know what the end result was suppose to look like. I showed my friend a sample f what I had been working on and she said that my purl was looking pretty good. I was rather confused cause I thought I had been working on the knit stitch! Yea, so pics would help for people who are easily confused (me)

And if you could possibly include how one would go about using a circular marker, I'd be much obliged. Thanks

Cheers
Amy
darkavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:49 PM   #28
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Darkavatar,

Check out the new "Ribbing" videos on the Basic Techniques /More page. I show what the knit and purl stitches are supposed to look like. Maybe that will help.

Amy

Martha Graham
Old 11-30-2004, 01:10 AM   #29
Ang_3_72
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Ang_3_72
hacky sack
I just started knitting, but my 14 year old son wants me to make him a hacky sack. Can that be done with knitting? If so, any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks.
Ang_3_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #30
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Hacky Sacks are usually crocheted. A knit one may not be as durable, but it is certainly possible.

Crocheted pattern:
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/hacky-sack.html

If I were doing it, I'd do it on double pointed needles, starting with a small number of stitches at the bottom, and increasing until I got half way up the ball, then decreasing my way to the top. I don't know off hand what rate of increase and decrease you'd want to do.

It's possible also to do the pattern on straight needles, and work back and forth, basically up and down from top to bottom, all the way around, with fewer rows worked on the ends, and more in the middle. This would be harder to calculate a pattern for. In the end you'd sew a seam from top to bottom (cast-on edge to bind-off edge).

In any case you'll want to work in needles a size or two smaller than recommended gauge, for a tighter gauge that won't leak out any of the filling pellets.

You could try posting your request on it's own thread, and see if any of the experienced knitters can figure out a good pattern for you. If I have time this week, I might take a crack at it myself!

Do you think your skills are up for trying double pointed needles?

Amy

Martha Graham