View Poll Results: How long have you been knitting?
Brand new knitter 23 31.08%
6 months - 1 year 22 29.73%
1-5 years 12 16.22%
5-20 years 5 6.76%
20+ years, or since childhood! 12 16.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

How long have you been knitting?
How long have you been knitting?

--Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
— Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-11-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
1999 Was a Magical Year
The summer of 1999 was a magical summer! I had this rather random thought that I wanted a new hobby. Knitting was the first thing that came to my mind. I knew less than nothing about knitting and I did not know anyone who knew how, or so I thought.

So with my new brilliant idea for a hobby, I took a field trip to the yarn isle of AC Moore. I found this beautifully expensive "Learn to Knit" book complete with color photos, etc etc. I then embarked on the yarn and needle mission; I turned my then craftless bones around and saw .... TOO MANY CHOICES!! Just as if scripted, a lady walked down the isle methodically picking this and picking that, looking oh so knowledgeable. I asked her, "I want to knit and I picked up this book. Where else do I begin?" She smiled and gentally took the beautifully expensive book from my grip and said, "You don't need that book. This book will do just fine." She gave a small book to me, one that cost about 80% less than the one I'd chosen and it also included crochet instructions. After she gave the book to me, she picked up some needles, hooks, and yarn and sent me on my merry way. I proudly carried the tools for my hobby to the register and spent a wopping $15 (approximately). I would have spent dozens more if left to my own devices.

At home, I settled in for some quality exploration time. After reading the little book cover to cover and decided to try crochet first. I spent some time with that and said ... ok ... onward to KNITTING!! Well, I had the slip knot under control from the crochet lessons. BUT cast on did not work so well. I was determined and would not give up. I took my new hobby to work to try to figure it out at lunch. A co-worker noticed my perplexed face and approached. I told her my story and how I couldn't figure out the picture for cast on. Unbeknownst to me, she'd been knitting her whole life. So perhaps she found my predicament amusing Anyhoo ... she showed me how to cast on, knit, and purl. From there, I took off and the little book made more sense to me. That little book taught me bind off, inc, dec, yo and the rest is history!!!

You might be asking, "What happened to crochet?" Well, for a time, I knitted and crocheted, but my crochet works never looked as good as my knitted works. My crochet guage was always fickle and my turns always looked horrible. For some reason, I find it difficult to count crochet stitches. I suspect that's why the AC Moore lady gave me the tools for both, so that I can discover for myself which I like best. In a nutshell, I know *how* to crochet, but I'm a knitter at heart.

:D

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
amigarabita
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to amigarabita
i said 5-20, but really it has been about 6.5 years. i learned when i was pregnant with my second daughter and i actually went into labor at my first knitting group! i am within the last year or so, becoming more experimental and pretty much knitting something all the time.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:04 PM   #4
feministmama
Instepping Out

I associate Knitting with Feminism because knitting was part of my first feminist act. In 1990 I was working in a bookstore that operated in a discount warehouse style. It was originally a supplier to schools and libraries that needed books by the pallet full so the books were shelved by publisher and then title because that’s the way books come from the publisher. When they arrived in the store, we’d just rip the top off and put stacks of them out on the floor. School librarians would come by and scoop them up by the handful.
By the 80’s word had spread about this funky place to buy books at twenty percent off, but shopping by publisher was confusing to some. So the store stared making subject shelves, with everything from car repair to antiques. Some of the women I worked with got together and started reading feminist text and women who came into the store looking for this genre were passed on to us. We had to show these women around to different shelves throughout the store because there was no women’s studies shelf. After a while we started questioning this practice and asked the management for a women’s studies shelf. They adamantly refused saying it wasn’t necessary. If women had to search all over the store (which was as big as Powell’s) then that was their problem.
The like minded feminist women at the store would gather on weekend afternoons, sipping tea, eating yummy treats and eventually knitting. Most of us were younger, feistier and ready for violence if our demands were not met. But Melinda, much older than us with a son our own age, was always knitting and her work was proudly displayed on him while he worked in the shipping area. We all became interested in her knitting, which seemed to foster her focus, concentration and deep thought at these meetings. So we wanted to learn this skill too.
We started to bring our needles into the store with us and ask her to show us some complicated stitch or configuration but one or two of the managers would come up to us and tell us not to knit in the store. The manager of the store had forbidden us to “talk shop” on company time, even though he and the fellas argued about baseball scores all through the day. “Put that away, you’re taking up valuable work time,” they would scoff at us. We saw red but kept up our knitting sessions, deferring to Melinda and her calm wisdom of working toward a resolution. Her lesson in restraint paid off. We developed a plan: We would go to the management as a group. They could refuse each of us individually but not standing together as a group. And of course it worked. We got our shelf.
I have been knitting and plotting revolution ever since.
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:18 PM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

FeministMama, What a story! I'm glad it had a happy ending.

Amigarabita, I can't believe you went into labor during your first knitting group! That's awesome.

ekgheiy, I used to crochet more than I knit, because I found it easier as a child. More intuitive to me. For instance, no one had to show me how to pick up stitches along the side of the work with crochet--it's just so intuitive, because you're so used to picking up stitches as you go anyway!

But now I'm definitely a knitter at heart. I just like the way knitting looks more, and I feel more accomplished, for some reason, when I've made something I like in knitting. I guess because it's harder! (At least to me it is!)

~Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
— Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 AM   #6
librarycat513
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to librarycat513 Send a message via Yahoo to librarycat513
I've been knitting for a grand total of 1 week now. I did try crochet first, years ago, but I never could get the hang of it. Knitting seems to be alot easier for me, and I really don't know why. I do know that it's a whole lot of fun.

from "The Princess Bride"
librarycat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:19 PM   #7
Dioritt
Casting On

I taught myself when my first baby was born. I was just 17 and determined to knit him a cardigan. Obviously, my first attempt wasn't up to much and my Nan made some sarcastic comments about it but I kept on trying and, well... I've never looked back.

~Sharon
Dioritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:57 AM   #8
krisleon
Casting On

I have been knitting for 25 years,when my dad died i lived in a childrens
home and one of the ladies called Helen taught me to knit and i have been
doing it since,it keeps me relaxed as i suffer from depression (due to noisy
neighbours).I dont know what i would do without my knitting. :XX:
krisleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I learned how to knit from my friends mother when I was about 9. The only thing she taught me was the knit stitch and the backward loop co. I loved it from the start. I didn't have much access to materials, so I went through long periods of no knitting, with binges in between.

Every Barbie doll I owned had clothes, every boyfriend I every had as a teenager had a scarf, as well as other friend's gifts. When my children were arriving and small I knit for them. But then, with the hectic lifestyle of having 3 small children, etc. I got out of it except for the occasional gift. All has been self-taught from books and trial and error.

My grandson came home from his dad's with a sweater made my his great-grandmother, about three years ago. I told him I could knit, too. He asked me to make him one, and then it was two, then for his brother, and I don't think I've gone a day without knitting since. Sometimes he says he's sorry he asked me for a sweater because I insist on the "best" seat on the couch and now I spend too much time on the computer.

But boy, I showed that great-grandma a thing or two!
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
Stacy
Ribbing the Cuff

I posted that I am a beginner. Actually my grandma taught me to knit and purl 25 years ago, but she would always cast on for me so I only knew the stitiches.

I had a hysterectomy in March and I had 6 weeks at home to re-coop. I decided that I would try to learn knitting again. I could do that while parked on the couch. I took a class at AC Moore and I have been hooked ever since. My DH says I am knitting obsessed. That may be, but I am glad that I had all of the time to practice, practice, practice. I can't tell you how many times I would cast on, rip it out, do it again. Then I moved to knitting swatches, ripping them out and doing it again. Finally I moved to dishclothes and finished 3 for my mom and 3 for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day. I know that if I had been working I wouldn't have the time or the energy to do all of that practicing.

I have completed a baby blanket, two hats, 3 scarves, 3 more dishcloths, one felted bag, one sock (I am working on the other ), 6 out of 24 squares to an afghan, and I have 1/4 of a sweater vest completed for a Christmas present.

Stacy
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote