Old 11-28-2004, 01:40 PM   #11
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Hmmmmm......

You're right, that isn't a small sample. Was there some other factor that was unusual, like using large needles and thin yarn for a lacy effect? It may be that because long scarves get pulled lengthwise while wearing them, that stretching them during wearing encourages the curl more.

Up until very recently, I always slipped the first stitch of each row exactly as you described, and I did once make a stockinette scarf that way. (The only stockinette scarf I've ever made.) It curled like the dickens. No matter how I tried to block it.

By the way, I still slip the first stitch like that most of the time. It makes a beautiful, neat edge. I'm experimenting with knitting the first knit stitch, and purling the first purl stitch. I've read that this can be a better edge for seaming, so I'm giving it a try. I'll let you all know the results!

Keep up the scientific experimenting, Rick! And if you figure out why we're getting different results, let us know!

Best,
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #12
Cellcept
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Cellcept
Hi again Amy

It was just worsted weight yarn with US 8 and straight stockinette. Someone had the same argument on another message board and I said to myself, hmmm, I'm going to make a large swatch and report my results. The gal said her and her mom had been knitting for years and their stockinette doesnt curl if they slipped the first stitch of every row. It does curl inwards a little but not much. And I would assume if its made with 100% wool superwash or otherwise, I would think you could block away the little bit of curling. Nevertheless, stockinette is rather boring by itself, but I thought that Fox Tracks scarf was pretty cool. I wonder if I should email the editor and ask her if it rolled eh?

Rick
Cellcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #13
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

That's quite a claim! I too have been slipping the first stitch like that for years, and my stockinette still rolls like crazy! For instance, the little sampler on the single increase and decrease pages was made slipping the first stitch that way. I had a heck of a time putting it on the scanner, so that the ends wouldn't curl in, even after blocking it. I finally had to pin it down to a piece of heavy-weight paper, to scan it! LOL

That pattern is very cute. But I bet it's only because it's been braced against her body, with the front facing out, that it's not totally curled in! If you look carefully at the picture, you can see the edges wanting to curl in!

If you look around at scarf and blanket patterns, you never find ones that are done in plain stockinette stitch. ...We know why!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 11-28-2004, 02:27 PM   #14
Cellcept
Casting On

You are right. I'm sure it was curling like crazy for them at Creativing Knitting mag. You sure did a good job of flattening your sample though. I cant even imagine how hard it was for you to flatten it. I've never did just straight stockinette for anything before without a border 'cause I was lucky enough to read a long time ago about it curling. But that gal that made the big claim just tempted me to see if I could duplicate her claims LOL. Btw, did you read the private message I sent to you regarding the improved SSK?

Rick
Old 11-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #15
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks Rick! I got both your messages. I corrected the improved ssk link, thanks for the heads up!!! And wow, that would be awesome if you would send me that clip. Thank you so much!

Amy :D

Martha Graham
Old 11-28-2004, 02:38 PM   #16
Cellcept
Casting On

Hmmm, I wonder how I would send it. Does your server allow for large attachments?

Rick
Old 11-28-2004, 02:54 PM   #17
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I don't think there's a limit on attachment size for my email, but my husband suggests that you keep it under 50 MB. If this means just emailing me a 1 minute clip of her knitting, that's fine.

Thanks!
Amy

Martha Graham
Old 11-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #18
Cellcept
Casting On

LOL I dont know how to split an mpg - so its 36.5 megs. I zipped it. I couldve split if if I had searched for a way to do it. It's uploading (attaching) as we speak.

Rick
Old 11-28-2004, 03:03 PM   #19
Cellcept
Casting On

Hmmm. Did your husband stop the upload?

Upload Error: Could not upload Attachment to ./files/l4.zip.

Rick
Old 12-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #20
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Success! I got it! (a few days ago, of course, but I'll just mention it her)

Thanks again Rick!

Amy

Martha Graham