Old 11-26-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

My 5-year-old niece knitting!
I brought my knitting with me to Thanksgiving dinner with my inlaws yesterday, and both my niece and nephew asked me to teach them to knit! It was such a thrill to watch my niece, especially, because she's so young, actually knitting!

I taught them the English method, which I realized would be much easier for them than the Continental. I used that rhyme (I've got to include this on the knitting page) "In through the front door, once around the back. Peek through the window, and off jumps Jack!" My niece was so cute, repeating the rhyme! She got it right away! It was so cool!

...Just had to share! :D
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sydney-knitting.jpg
Views:	2120
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	19133  

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Chris
Ribbing the Cuff

That is soo cool, My Grace is 31/2 and I told her I would teach her to knit.....using the term "knit" loosely!! hee hee.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
aw
Thats so cute! Congrats on that accomplishment!

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
Cellcept
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Cellcept
Hi Amy

Thats so cool, teaching them to knit! How'd the nephew do? He probably didnt want his picture taken LOL I taught my sister to knit back in October. Now she is obsessed. She says "see what a monster you've created?" She even knits and does the finishing at work. I'm almost jealous.

Rick
Cellcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I wish my husband had snapped a pic of my nephew Johnny knitting too! Johnny was great. I sent them both home with their own needles (half a set of some handmade wooden DPN's I had in my bag, each), and little sample balls of half of the yarns in my bag (I had a lot of yarn in my bag!).

Of course I glowed when I heard my nephew say to his mom, "and if I forget, I can look on her website!"

beam beam :D

Ohhhh, knitting at work. That's the life!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 11-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
Cellcept
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Cellcept
Awwwww, how cool is that! You must be VERY proud!

Rick
Cellcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:04 PM   #7
Roxanne
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Roxanne
Re: My 5-year-old niece knitting!
That's really cute Amy! She looks like she's really concentrating HARD too...and that's so adorable!
Gifts for Fiber Enthusiasts: http://yarngiftbouquets.com
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:07 AM   #8
amigarabita
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to amigarabita
my children both knit. at their school in the first week of first grade they start making their own knitting needles from wooden dowels that they sand and oil sand and oil. a fairy came and sharpened them a bit one night -ha! when they have finished their needles, they start knitting!

sadie is 6 and is making a stuffed cat. emma is 9 and has knit many things. she just gave my prego sister a super cute hat knit in the round at a baby shower. she made a matching bib and crocheted a border and tie on the bib. everyone at the baby shower was floored! (i, naturally, ate that up). her recent project was an embroidered sampler which was also a needle case.

the other day sadie was sitting outside knitting away and singing when all of a sudden i hear "MOM!!! I OFF JUMPED JACK TOO QUICK".

so adorable. i was sewing a christmas stocking today when emma had some hand sewing advice for me.

anyway, the reason they start these hand crafts so young in their schools is as a primer for mathematics. rather clever, don't you think?

amy, that picture is very cute, btw.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:11 AM   #9
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Your children sound very talented! I totally get it how knitting could prime them for math! It's so spacial, and you have to do so much counting with calculating gauge and decreases, etc. Yeah, let's see, you've got addition, subtraction, multiplication and division! As well as some geometric possibilities as well! ....That's just brilliant. Plus, it's a great way to get boys into knitting as well! Very cool!

The school they are going to sounds great!!

I grew up as a crafting kid, and I was the only kid I knew that sewed and knit and crocheted. I remember in 5th grade, our teacher would read to us after recess, and we got to do what we wanted quietly, while he read. While all my classmates were drawing pictures of hearts and rainbows, I was sewing christmas ornaments and things! It would have been nice to have company! Although I got a lot of attention for it, which was kind of cool. One time we had a contest of who could tie 12 knots the fastest, and, big surprise, I won. I think I was actually more than twice as fast as several of the other kids, who'd never done more with yarn than tie their shoe laces! LOL! It was the highlight of my grade school years, definitely!

The closest thing I got to sharing crafts with my peers, was in 8th grade, when I got to choose needlepoint as an elective. It was in the Creole speaking section of our school, the only class I ever took with the Haitian girls in my grade. Of course, they all gabbed away in Creole, and I couldn't understand a word they were saying, but we had fun sewing together anyway! There's something about sharing a craft like that that is just special. It brings people together.

Thanks for sharing about your girls! I wish I knew them when I was their age!!

Martha Graham