Old 12-01-2004, 04:06 PM   #1
Holly
Knitting the Flap

Newbie with pattern question
Hi all :D I was just reading a pattern for a baby cap, and at the end the following direction was stated: "thread needle and take remaining stitches off knitting needles. Sew cap together, changing seam at cuff turn-up."

As I'd like to progress past rectangles and squares in my knitting , I'd really like to try a hat, but I'm not sure about that direction. I assume that I will thread a needle and pull it through the loops left on my knitting needle (without binding off). Do I understand it correctly?

Any advice for a good beginner project that isn't a scarf would be appreciated!

Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-01-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

You've got it exactly. Just slip the stitches off the knitting needle, and onto the tapesty needle, and pull the yarn through the stitches. I like to knot it once on the inside, then go through those same stitches again before cutting the yarn.

If you are up for trying out double pointed needles, a basic hat is a great beginner project. There are also some hats knit on straight needles. These will have a seam running up the back. It is possible to sew the seam virtually invisibly. (I'll put up a video on how to do this one of these days.)

I added a couple new projects to the "Getting Started" page, and VERY soon (tomorrow probably) I will have dozens of new projects up on the Free Patterns page, including several beginner projects (which are labeled "beginner.")

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote