Old 11-26-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
Annie
Casting On

Trouble combining knit & purl
I'm new to knitting and have been teaching myself with a book. I do just fine with entire rows of knitting and purling (stockinette and garter patterns are a cinch). BUT --- I can't seem to k1, p1, in the same row without making a mess out of it. It looks tangled, I pick up extra stitches, etc. Argggh.

Can anyone explain what I might be doing wrong? I've been very careful to watch what I'm doing - even watching the videos to make sure I got the knit and purl techniques right in the first place. (Which I have.) I'm exhausted from trying to figure it out. Many thanks.

(This site is great by-the-way...)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
jacquieh
Casting On

When you do a knit stitch the yarn has to be behind the needles and when you do a purl stitch the yarn has to be in front of the needles.

So when you have just done a knit st and want to purl the next you need to bring the yarn between the needles to the front.

And when you have just done a purl and want to knit the next you need to pass the yarn to the back, again between the needles.

Not repositioning the yarn in either case will result in an extra loop on the needle, as will repositioning it by going round the outside of the needles.

One technique for deliberately increasing is the "yarn over " and not repositioning the yarn between ks and ps is one way of doing it.

Hope this helps!

Jacquie's Journal
Bloggers' Paradise
jacquieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
Annie
Casting On

Dearest Jacquie,

Your pointers should surely help me! I think that I was wrapping the yarn around the outside to switch from knits to purls. (I pretty much had pulled out all of my hair!)

Telling me to pull the yarn BETWEEN the needles is I think what I needed to see and hear. Such a simple thing - go figure... I tried a few stiches and it seems to be working - even though I feel like I have twelve thumbs. It'll all smooth out, I know.

Thanks SO much!
:D
Old 11-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Good point!! I think I'll include a video on k1, p1 ribbing, and mention this, for other beginners!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #5
roxyquiksilver34
1st Leg of the Journey

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze76q8i/kpdiag.JPG

CHeck this out --- it made knit/purl sooooo easy for me!

(English knitting style --- I'm not coordinated enough for continental yet )

:D

Hope this helps!!!
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((
roxyquiksilver34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Great illustration, Roxy! I'll include a link to that with the ribbing video!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 12-05-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
Cindy
Casting On

K1,P1
Hi!
I know this may seem biased, but you will find it so much easier to K1,P1 using the Continental method of knitting. Also, knitting using this method is so much faster. I don't even think about where to put my yarn (front or back) using the Continental method. It just comes naturally. I think if you give it a try, you won't go back to the slow English method. I learned this from a college friend who told me when still in my late teens to knit using the Continental method because it is so much faster. Therefore I never learned the English method - and watching the way the English method is done, and how slow it seems, I'm glad I didn't. Just my 50 cents worth. It might feel awkward at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll zip right along!
Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:44 AM   #8
Annie
Casting On

Trouble with knit and purl
Thanks so much to everyone who wrote with help! I will keep working at this. Still having some troubles and feeling clumsy.

Amy - I'm looking forward to your ribbing video.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
Holly
Knitting the Flap

Another vote for continental method :-). It is very natural for me to lift the yarn with my finger from front to back for k/p in the same row without letting go of the needles. I tried using the English method and felt very clumsy with it (dropping the needle when I threw the yarn, etc...)

Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #10
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Annie, I put up the ribbing video a few days ago! (Sorry I didn't let you know personally at the time, but I have a hard time keeping track of the requests I get for videos.) It's in the Basic Techniques/ More page.

To keep aware of future site updates, look for new posts to the "Site Updates Log" thread. When I add a new video, I post it on this thread.

Happy knitting!
Amy

Martha Graham