Old 12-04-2004, 02:50 AM   #1
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

ISO: "The Principles of Knitting" book
I know this is a long shot, but....

I've been using this book that I got from the library, called "The Principles of Knitting." It's 571 pages long, and has been an important reference for me for shooting the videos (with accurate information!) on this site! In short, I really need to keep this book! I'm no where near done using it for this site!

I have to return this book next week, and the book is no longer in print! And get this...the used ones on Amazon are currently selling for $250+! (!!!!)

It's hard to imagine that one of you out there may be willing to give or lend me a $250 book....but on the incredible chance that you might....I'm just putting this prayer out there!

(Oh Christmas Angels, are you listening?....Santa?....)

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
PiousPoet
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to PiousPoet
You might find this useful. Here's an auction for one on ebay for one that ends in 6 days. May be able to get it for a cheaper price, and the seller has a good rep. Hope it works out for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
PiousPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Wow, how'd you find that?! I just did an eBay search yesterday, and the only one that came up had a starting bid of $200!

This one is currently at only $20! Of course there's still 6 days left.... I'll definitely try bidding! Thanks!!!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 12-04-2004, 07:35 PM   #4
craftyzoey
Casting On

Amy,
Girl, you need that book - if your website is any indication of the quality of that book - you should own one!! And I can't believe it's out of print!!

I'll check around where I live - at some used book stores and our public library booktique. I'll also ask my Aunt who lives at a retirement village if anyone there might have a copy. She knows a lot of very crafty people - one of her good friends was an Occupational Therapist - she might be a good resource.

I'll keep you posted -

~zoe
craftyzoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks, CraftyZoey!

Yeah, this book is "the book." You know how everybody loves the Vogue Knitting book, because it's got "everything" in it...? Well this book is twice as thick!! (Not to put down Vogue Knitting, in any way. That is an awesome book, and more than sufficient for most knitter's needs. But for a researcher like me, the Priciples of Knitting has been indispensable!)

Martha Graham
Old 12-04-2004, 07:54 PM   #6
PiousPoet
Ribbing the Cuff

Hope the auction turns out well for you.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:55 AM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks PiousPoet. BTW, welcome to the forum! I didn't realize you were new, because I recognize your name from another forum! (tkga?) LOL!

Nice to have you on board!

Amy

Martha Graham
Old 12-05-2004, 02:23 AM   #8
PiousPoet
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I've been on TKGA for a while. :D
Old 12-15-2004, 08:10 PM   #9
Chris
Ribbing the Cuff

hey there Amy...there is a book on ebay with buy it now, for 235 + 15 shipping....Seller is in NY, maybe I could pick up the book when I go to NY for Christmas.... and if not
I am good for the shipping.....
Anyone else for a contribution??
Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:20 PM   #10
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Chris, thanks for that offer!

I am very tempted to get that one.

I can't help but wonder, though, if the prices will go down after Christmas? Should we wait? Doesn't it seem like they would go down? They were much lower in October, like $150! (I thought it was a lot then! Now I'm kicking myself!) But with knitting gaining in popularity still, it's hard to tell how much of the price increase is seasonal, and how much is just plain demand!

Hubby thinks I should wait.... What d'yall think? What if it keeps going UP??!!

The good news is, the Christmas angels have been answering my prayers. I've had two other generous contributions towards the book, as well as a handful of "tip jar" contributions. It really helps, I appreciate it so much!

Amy

Martha Graham