Old 02-13-2005, 06:17 AM   #11
Egeria
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Egeria Send a message via Yahoo to Egeria
Thanks for that! I am going home to Canada this summer and was planning on taking some knitting with me. This is a big help!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-14-2005, 04:26 AM   #12
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
This makes me laugh a little.

I flew from CA to VA last year. I planned to be in VA for an extended amount of time, so I took most of my jewelry making supplies with me. I also took a sewing kit, and small cross-stitch project in a carry-on bag.

I had fragile stickers ALL over the suitcase with my jewelry making supplies and warned the baggage handlers several times to be careful of my very sharp wire cutters and various other sharp items in the case. When I packed, I put everything in clear ziploc baggies so it would be easier for them to examine. Ha!

They took my cross stitch needles (these are blunt), scissors, and sewing kit needles. Said they were too sharp, and could possibly be used as a weapon. So, I had to check those.

They left me with a pair of heavy duty wire cutters in my carry-on case. They are very visable...bright yellow handles. The blades are VERY sharp. I could probably cut up to a size 8 wooden needle in half with them, or a small persons pinkie, and up to 10 guage wire. But God help us all if I get on the plane with an embroidery needle!

After all of this, I get through security and on my way to the gate, pass an elderly woman, sitting in chairs...cross stitching. With metal needles. I see her snip her DMC thread to start a new row. I was FURIOUS. Honest to God, I felt discriminated. I guess terrorists can't be upwards of 60.

And if that wasn't enough...when I finally got back to CA after dealing with a grandmother with dementia for 2 months, my suitcase was ripped, all of my jewelry making supplies had been dumped in my suticase, beads, wire, etc. all tangled and strewn. The pens, markers, and highlighters had been uncapped and bled through fabric that was in my suitcase. I made a complaint at the SW desk, and they gave me a $55 travel voucher. I kindly told them they could shove it, as I would *never* fly SW again.
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:20 PM   #13
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

That's horrible Foldedbird!! You should move to Canada, like in,...ummm..., maybe Alberta!? We have nice flight service.

When we flew last summer, I had a pair of nail clippers in my wallet, which I completely forgot about until security asked me to take it out. I guess some kind of nail clippers have an extra blade on them, but mine didn't, so I was allowed to keep them.

LOL, my first response to him when he asked me to take them out, was, very quickly, "Oh, you can have those. I forgot about them." Hubby shook his head at me as we were cleared and walked away.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

FB that is RIDICULOUS! SW stinks (my pg-13 brain censored my real opinion)
Old 03-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #15
roxyquiksilver34
1st Leg of the Journey

I figured I would saddle my knitting supplies in my laptop bag (or if I receive my JP knitter's purse today via UPS :D ) in one of the side pockets and use my nail clipper as my cutting implement. Will be flying tomorrow to Houston, and I've already printed out the TSA guidelines in case there's a snit @ the gate. 8)
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((
roxyquiksilver34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #16
Mer
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by roxyquiksilver34
I figured I would saddle my knitting supplies in my laptop bag (or if I receive my JP knitter's purse today via UPS :D ) in one of the side pockets and use my nail clipper as my cutting implement. Will be flying tomorrow to Houston, and I've already printed out the TSA guidelines in case there's a snit @ the gate. 8)
Oooh! Totally unrelated, but are you coming to the rodeo? That's the talk of the town here.

I am glad to know the official guidelines for flying with knitting--my needles will be taking their first trip next month.
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #17
wildforyarn
Turning the Heel

Can I ask what a JP knitter's purse is??
wildforyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #18
roxyquiksilver34
1st Leg of the Journey

Jordana Paige KNitters Purse. It's gorgeous.

http://www.jordanapaige.com

She called me personally to update me on the status of my shipment too

Heh heh - am going to the rodeo & to see Gretchen Wilson on Saturday
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((
roxyquiksilver34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #19
Carie
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Carie
What I'd like to know, Roxyquiksilver34, is where did you get that avitar??? I love it!

Carie
Old 03-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #20
shellebelle216
1st Leg of the Journey

I fly a lot due to being in the military and teaching classes all over the US. When I fly I take bambo and plastic needles and nail clippers and have never had a problem. I also read somewhere of you are worried about it (and have long enough hair) use the bambo needles to hold up your hair.