Old 01-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Everything I know about computers in general, I learned from my hubby. He is a very good researcher and a complete sponge for information.

Moo~

Some info for Windows Media Player (WMP). First, WMP is not uninstalled if it is still popping up on you. Did you mean that you tried to disable it? Perhaps if you did try to uninstall it, you weren't allowed to. I'm not familiar with how difficult it is to remove WMP, because I've never tried to get rid of it. Personally, I use WMP for videos and Winamp for audio.

There are some programs that make it "impossible" to remove. An example would be MSN messenger from Windows XP. When I installed XP on my comp for the first time, I was disgusted that it put messenger on my comp, even having the nerve to keep activating itself in my system tray , so I tried to close it, uninstall it, remove it permanently. Nothing worked. After doing some research, I found out that I had to change some coding in the registry to remove it. That is not for the weak hearted!

Anyway, if you would like to have WMP working, then here's some ideas that you can try to fix it.

1) Update the drivers on your VIDEO card. I think WMP had some issues with an nVidea card.

2) Update your version of WMP. A lot of the time, updates will overwrite anything problems from the previous version.

These 2 suggestions alone should get it to work. If not, then do you get any kind of error message before it crashes? If you do get an error message, then copy it into a google search and you will find solutions that way.

If it is still crashing, then you can go to the website and they may have a way to contact them for other help. I'll ask my hubby tonight if there's anything else that I could suggest.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #12
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Excellent suggestions, Beldaraan. I can tell your hubby knows his stuff, and you've clearly learned a lot yourself! I've learned everything from my hubby too. It sure comes in handy being married to a computer wiz, doesn't it?! (This site wouldn't have happened, otherwise!)

I hate programs that hijack your preferences, and are difficult to uninstall! MSN messenger sounds like a pain in the butt. Real Player is another example. It's probably the most invasive program ever made (it's almost virus-like!) which is why I have a link to a Real Player Alternative, instead of the original, on the front page of this site.

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

I have a little beef with Quicktime right now. It loads itself into my system tray when I boot up my computer. No need for it to be there, so I may just uninstall and see what happens. I hardly turn off my comp so I keep forgetting about it. I think I tried setting the preferences to not load up when I start my comp, but either I couldn't find it or it's a "fake" command.

I always get Quicktime and RealPlayer mixed up too. As mentioned I rely on WMP and Winamp for my media stuff, but sometimes I need one of the other players.

Having a resourceful hubby around comes in handy. Sometimes it gets frustrating between us when he doesn't understand why I don't understand, or other times, when I forget something that he's told me "a million times already."

He's a keeper for a while yet. I told him that when he turns 40, I'll be going through my midlife crisis and will have to trade him in for two 20 year olds
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote