Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #91
beedreamer
Casting On

seaming the hat
hi there...I have a couple of questions about seaming this hat, if anyone could offer advice. I finished my first attempt yesterday (also my first project besides scarves), and I wanted to close with kitcheners, as I've seen mention of that preventing the "peak" at the top...however, with nine stitches on my needle, I was unsure of how to reach the point of equal stitches on each needle (and also, do you just move the stitches over, or knit them on, or how do you get them split between needles....I watched amy's video, which was great, but it didn't show how to get to that point with one piece). My attempt was not sightly, and I ended up picking it out and just cinching it after all.

And then, with the mattress seam...since the left edge is full of the decreased stitches for a ways down, I failed miserably at matching for an invisible seem--is there some trick I missed? I feel like the solutions must be obvious, but I'm making this same hat for my partner and want it to look right... thank you for any suggestions!
beedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #92
Kafloogaflunken
Casting On

Ok so this is a cool, simple hat but there are a few problems with the original pattern.

The hat is way too big!!!...as you can see from these pictures. Yes, the pattern says to work stockinette stitch for 3 1/2 inches but if you work out the full VW pattern, it comes to about 5 inches. I realized this after I had already made half the logo. Most people have the same size head (roughly) and this is way too big for the average head. Therefore, you need to make the VW smaller - about half as large. It's too big for my lovely boyfriend as you can see in the third picture, even though I always thought he had a bigger head.

I used a mattress stitch (see the demo videos section) to close up the back and it worked out really well and made an invisible seam.

I also used size 6 needles instead of size 7, but I knit relatively loosely.

Oh yeah and if you're wondering why the V and W are connected it is because my boyfriend told me to do it but then after I finished the hat he changed his mind

Anyway, I think this hat is salvageable. I can either use a piece of plastic and make a brim out of the extra material, or just give it to someone with a big ole head.
Kafloogaflunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #93
Kafloogaflunken
Casting On

Oh as far as the mattress stitching went, I ended up with a little curved seam at the top, but it doesn't make the hat look bad. This is because I had to keep moving the stitching over for several rows on the left edge. Also I stopped decreasing with eighteen stitches left and as you can see it fixes the whole peak issue.
Kafloogaflunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #94
Ivy-Poo
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Ivy-Poo
I just completed this hat- here it is on me and then on the intended recipient. I just knitted the hat without the VW first and then embroidered it on afterwards.. so it looks a bit big but I like it!

OTN - Seed Stitch hat

Next in line- Baby Blanket for my nephew arriving in January and Bear's Scarf for hubby

YvetteG on Ravelry
Ivy-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:45 AM   #95
Kazbone
Casting On

Holden car logo
Hi everyone,
I would love to knit this hat for my Dad who loves Holden cars.
I was hoping anyone out there would be able to help me locate this Australian car symbol.

Thanking you
Karen
Kazbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #96
cheer4you
Casting On

okay... this might sound like the dumbest question ever, but i kind of need to know. When you say a size 7 needle, are you referring to the U.S. size or 7mm? I am embararassed to be asking this, but before i start i need to make sure i even have the right needles. thanks.
cheer4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #97
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Generally knitters in the US would refer to their own sizing, so it would be a US 7 for worsted weight yarn.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #98
coffeesnob
Casting On

Thank you thank you for this pattern! It is exactly what I was looking for - something simple that could be easily altered.

It was my first attempt at a non-circular knitted hat. It turned out well, but I prefer DPNs (my mattress stitching was wicked terrible.) Fortunately it works just as well on them.

I've since done everything from solids, stripes, fair-isle, and I added cables once and it tightened up perfectly for a niece.

My family will have toasty heads this winter.
coffeesnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #99
cricket22
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank You!
Thanks for the great pattern my son drives a bug and has quite an extensive cool hat collection. It's perfect!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #100
gabbi2306
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to gabbi2306
this pattern is great thankyou so much. i just followed the pattern with DK wool aswell and it worked just as good. The only problem is that it was a little short, so i might try adding in a few more rows before the decrease. Thank you once again for posting this wonderful pattern.

Last edited by gabbi2306 : 03-01-2009 at 07:04 AM.
gabbi2306 is offline   Reply With Quote