Old 03-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #21
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
I finally finished my hat...Yay

I added extra rows to make it fit over my ears. I used kitchener stitch to close the top and a mattress seam to close the back. I never thought I could get kitchener but I just kept watching the videos over and over. One thing that was throwing me off for the longest time was trying to get my tail yarn on the back needle. I ended up having to decrease one more time..loL. I was suprised at how good it looks for my first project and hat!!

A big thanks goes out to Beld for helping me along the way too. You are so awesome

I'm posting a couple pics here of the hat. One more thing....You know how it says at the end about 10-15 stitches being left on the needle?? Well, I got either 18 or 9. (9 after I decreased one more time). Just thought this tip might help the next person making this. :D
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knit_hat.jpg
Views:	8142
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	19330  Click image for larger version

Name:	hat_back.jpg
Views:	8131
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	19331  
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #22
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Awesome work Jive!! Your hat looks way better than mine. Nice job on the seam work. It really looks great. Looks good on you too.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #23
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Thanks Beld :D

I'm so happy I finished the hat and that it looks good and I can wear it proudly.

I've already got a few requests in to make the hat for others, but luckily spring is coming so they can all wait till next winter..LOL. I just love the simplicity of this hat.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #24
peev
Ribbing the Cuff

Well, I just finished my hat (I had to figure out how to sew it up and ended up turning it inside out and sewing it that way). I'm a little disappointed with it, as it is quite big and not very 'stretchy', although that could just be the wool I used. My DH says it looks like a swimming cap, which is a little offputting. :rollseyes: Anyway, it has got me over my fear of knitting anything other than scarves, so I suppose it has its uses. :D I don't have a photo of it at the moment, but I'll get one this week.
peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #25
JessicaSant
1st Leg of the Journey

the hat looks great!

Guess I should check in on this thread more often...

So this may be too late for peev, but hopefully it can help some other folks. I've made this hat a bunch of times (I keep getting requests)... so to vary the circumference I've done a couple things:

When I've made it for a kid, I use a smaller needle
When I made it for myself (I've got a "normal" size head) I use the pattern as it is
When I made it for my Dad (his hats always dwarf me), I increased the cast-on to to 120 stitches instead of 90 (basically with a guage of 20 stitches x 24 rows, 10 stitches = 2 more inches in the circumference).

If you increase the cast on, do teh decrease the same as I have listed -- it may just take an extra row to get down to a dozen stitches on your needle before you need to bind off.

As for my original instructions that were a bit vague and said "continue in this fashion until 10 to 15 stiches remain" -- the reason I put that range there -- is because I didn't remember the exact # of stitches I had left -- but 9 or 18 (depending on the row you end on -- sounds right. Realize if you increase the cast on, then you could have 10 or 20.

Hopefully that makes sense.

One of the things I really like about this pattern is that its pretty simple, and its not very big -- so there's lots of things you can do to "embellish" it and not get bored -- add some decorative stitches, maybe cables? try some intarsia color or some fair-isle color, try converting it to circular needles, practice a different seam on the back -- what about adding ear flaps? or a rib all teh way up the hat? lots of possiblities as you learn new knitting techniques.

Happy Hat Making!!!
JessicaSant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #26
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the tips Jessica. I will be making this hat for my neice soon too. Maybe then I will experiment with a pattern of some sort on the front. Or maybe a hat with one stripe across.

One more thing I'll add for anyone making this hat....if you are going to use kitchener stitch to close the top, end after a decrease row and not a purl row. This totally confused me for awhile. I ended on a purl row and had the hardest time trying to get my tail yarn on the back needle. Thats why I had to decrease one more time. But then all was good :D
Old 08-31-2005, 02:07 PM   #27
jodstr2
Instepping Out

resurrecting this thread...

I think I'm ready to try this hat. if I can do it right, I *might* try to do an Audi one, too.

thank you so much, JessicaSant!

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #28
Lyonesse
Casting On

oooOOOOOOoooo
I am just SO excited about his hat I am practically bouncing for joy. I have been teaching myself to knit for a little bit now and have been knitting squares which will eventually be sewn together into a quilt but I was getting a bit bored with squares so have been looking for a simplish project to start me off properly. Then I spotted this hat and almost BOUNCED out of my chair! I am making one for my hubby in black and grey with the VW symbol includes because he drives a camper and I drive a karmann ghia! Anyway I haven't started yet but when I'm done I'll let you know how I got on.... (Or maybe earlier if things go according to type!)

Lyonesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:32 AM   #29
spooky
Knitting the Flap

holes
That hat is awsome kids! I would love love love to make one for my buddy who is a vw freak but I have one tiny little question. Whenever I make something that has a picture on it I end up with holes around the picture. Is there a trick to stopping those holes? Or am I doomed to sew 'em up when I get done.
Thanks a bunch!!!!
spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #30
MaryS
Turning the Heel

To stop the HOLES

When you go from one color to the next make sure you pick up the new yarn from UNDERNEATH the old yarn.

This twists the yarn together and prevents THOSE UNSIGHTLY HOLES

Try it and you'll feel

Happy hole-free knitting :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote