Old 12-28-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
lydiaach
Casting On

Help me with this pattern! (Updated with pictures)
I looked all over and could not find a good explaination on how to do this:

P3tog leaving sts on needle, yo, then purl the same sts tog again.

Thanks in advance!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-29-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

In the abbreviations explained section theres videos on p2tog and yo. Do the p3tog like a p2tog, but with three stitches; but insead of taking all the stitches off the left needle to complete it, leave them on the left needle, so the yarn is through those stitches, and you have a new loop on the right needle. Do a yarn over (so you now have two loops on the right needle). Then purl through those same three stitches again, this time sliding them off the left needle. This will give you three stitches on the right needle, and you will have worked three stitches, so you'll have the same number of stitches at the end.

Hope that helps!
...Whatcha workin' on?
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
lydiaach
Casting On

I am making a blanket from a pattern book I received as a Christmas gift called Beautiful Baby. The blanket is called a "star" blanket or something...can't remember. I've only been doing 4" swatches because I am still learning about gauge and this one particular stitch that I just can't get and it's so frustrating!

It's marked "EASY" too!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #4
lydiaach
Casting On

Oops! Forgot to say thanks!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
lydiaach
Casting On

Amy, thanks to your help, I figured it out and finished a little swatch of the Star Stitch! I can't wait to get my real one started!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:38 AM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Great! Have fun!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 12-31-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
lydiaach
Casting On

Here is the book I got the pattern from

I'm finding that I'm knitting this blanket up really tight. My left thumb has a dent in it from forcing the needle through. It's noraml when I'm knitting and purling but when I do the cluster (from my first post), the purling gets soooooo tight. It's looking good and I think it will be my very first useful project! I'm making it purple and white to match my baby's nursery. Hope it's done by the time she gets here!
Old 12-31-2004, 02:36 PM   #8
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Congratulations that you have a baby on the way!

That pattern book looks like a nice one. I like the cover items.

It's always tight to work more than one stitch at the same time. I normally knit continentally, but that takes a fair amount of room in the stitch to work it. When I have to do a k2tog, most of the time I end up "throwing" the yarn (like English knitters do), because it makes a tight stitch like that easier to work. For purling two together, I work it my usual continental way and it works fine. I'm not sure I've ever done a pattern that requires p3tog! I can see how that would be tight and tricky though! Especially the second time, with the extra yarn in it from purling it the first time!

Good luck finishing it in time for the baby! I hope we get to see pictures: of the blanket AND the baby!

Happy knitting and Happy New Year!
Amy

Martha Graham
Old 01-01-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
lydiaach
Casting On

Happy New Year!

I'm about 5 inches into the blanket (it's going to be 34" by 45") and I've dropped a couple of stitches. Nothing noticeable. But where should I make it up?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
lydiaach
Casting On

Ok now what? I have been working on this blanket for hours and unfortunately am not using very expensive yarn. During one of my P3tog's, one stitch snapped. I don't know if it impacted the # of stitices on the needles at this point-haven't counted. But I've put so much work into this already I don't want to have to stop!