Old 01-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

2 socks on 2 circular needles
Sock-knitters of this board, I need HELP!!!!

I have been practising making socks now on double point needles and I absolutely love using double points because it just feels right.

BUT

I am to the point where I find that once I finish one sock, my elation quickly disappears as I contemplate the prospect of starting to make a second sock that is exactly the same. For me, the first sock is always exciting, and the second sock is such a chore to knit. Maybe I am the only one who feels this and I'm just a weirdo!

The other day when I was browsing the net looking for sock-knitting info, I wound up on the sockknitters site again, and I found a new tutorial for knitting 2 socks at the same time on 2 circular needles:

http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm

Now I am totally obsessed with this whole idea as it would mean that you can finish a pair of socks at the same time. No more facing the daunting task of starting the second sock!!! Woohoo!!! This looks like a sock-knitting method that I need to learn despite my present addiction to dpns.

The trouble is, I get lost following those tutorial instructions.

I have watched Amy's video on knitting with 2 circular needles - which totally explains the cast-on and how to start by dividing the cast-on stitches between 2 needles and then sliding them to the other end of the needles to join them. So you could cast on for one sock as per Amy's video. But then what do you do for the second sock?

Here is the part where I get lost:

http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/lessontwo.htm

It's the point at which she goes from picture 8 to picture 9. Picture 8 is great - I understand. But picture 9 is a complete mystery, as are all instructions beyond picture 9.

Help!

PS I am scared of doing a heel with this method too, but I don't want to think about that yet.
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
NeedleWerks
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to NeedleWerks
2 socks help
HI... Picture 9 shows the 2 socks cast on and pushed close together. They are 2 separate socks. The heels you do one at a time. Her lessons are very good as that is how I learned to do 2 socks ata time. Now I am trying 2 socks on circulars toe-up from Queen Kahuna's creations.

KnittinDeb on Ravelry
NeedleWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks so much for your reply Debbie! I am actually still a bit lost though. How does Sharon join up the second sock? I can see how she has joined the ends for the first sock, but how does she do it for the second sock? Sorry if this is a dumb question!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
NeedleWerks
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to NeedleWerks
contact Sheron
Here is her email address from her tutorial site.
sheronbg@yahoo.com

Good luck.

KnittinDeb on Ravelry
NeedleWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Bumping an old thread of mine to say:

It helps when you have your two circs in your hot little hands and you get started.

I ordered 2 sets of 2mm addis from an online shop in the UK and after getting them and having everything in front of me, off I went.

Everything began to make sense. I even popped in a short row heel and toe.

The satisfaction upon finishing was wonderful. Two socks ready to wear. No more "second sock syndrome" for me!!! Yippppppeeeeeee!!! And btw, every positive thing you ever read about addis is true. They ROCK! I have one set of inox circulars and while they are ok, the addis have a practically unnoticeable join between the needles and the cable. Smoooooooth.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	instant_sock_happiness.jpg
Views:	1956
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	19164  
Old 01-28-2005, 12:14 PM   #6
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

My brother met a lady who knit some socks for him. He's been absolutely crazy for knitted socks since then. (When mom started knitting, he bought her all the supplies she would need to knit him socks as a birthday gift to her - book all about socks, dpn's, yarn, etc) The catch? This lady's nickname was "Two Socks" because you always got 2 different socks in a pair that never matched. If I recall correctly, she suffered from "second sock syndrome" as well 8)
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

Salsa - fantastic! I'm going to do the DI Mark's Sock Boot Camp with Foldedbird et al., but after that I'm on to trying the circular method with 2 at once.

Can't wait!

Jouf
Jouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
oshnpashn
1st Leg of the Journey

Awesome socks. So glad to hear that the 2/2 works!! I know myself well enough that I'd finish one on DPNs and not want to do the other!! You have sparked me to get more circs and get started on my socks. Hopefully this weekend!!
oshnpashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
oshnpashn
1st Leg of the Journey

One more thing, did you use her pattern or one you had?
oshnpashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Beldaraan, I LOVE that story. That lady sounds like me!!! I have one sock sitting here looking at me begging for me to knit a friend for it soon. LOL

Jouf, it's really great once you get the hang of it. And once you're almost finished, you will be so excited that you will have 2 socks all at once to wear.

Oshnpashn, I didn't use Sharon's pattern to the letter. I just took her lesson as a guide (especially the cast on pictures). I watched Amy's excellent video about knitting on 2 circs quite a few times too, and that really helped me get the idea of what would be going on with 2 items on the 2 circs. So kudos too to our great guru Amy for her awesome video.

The pattern I used is basically this one:

http://hipknitism.com/classes/basic_...ks/index.shtml

It's set out in lesson form. You start by taking foot measurements and swatching. And then it shows you how to calculate how many stitches to cast on to make "socks that fit".