Old 11-24-2004, 01:13 AM   #1
ashley
Ribbing the Cuff

scarf in stockinette stitch curling
i decided to start a simple scarf after i misread a pattern for slippers and ribbed only 4 rows instead of 4 inches and didn't realize the mistake until i was ready to cast off. haha...so i proceed to the easy scarf with size 13 needles and lion brand yarn, a blend of lambs wool and acryliv and im running into another problem, the scarf is curling into a large tube, is there anything to fix this? what am i doing wrong? i dont see any dropped stictches and my tension is even...what can i do??

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2004, 06:16 AM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I hate to have to tell you this....

Stockinette stitch curls. You don't even have to tell me; I know you're working in stockinette stitch, or something very close to it. It's the nemesis of creative scarf knitters. I've done it myself. My friend swore she loved her "tube scarf" I gave her. Oh well!

You can TRY blocking it.

Or, you could turn it into a poncho. Stop knitting when it's twice as long as it is wide. Make a second one the same size. Attach them like in the easy baby poncho (brand new addition to the free patterns page). Long fringe along the bottom edge (what is now the "side" of your scarf) will hopefully weigh it down enough to keep it from curling up. Give it to whoever it fits!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
Marnie
1st Leg of the Journey

As Amy said, stockinette curls. You won't be able to make it not curl on its own, but you do have some options. If you knit it twice as long as you want it to be, you can fold it in half and sew along the three raw edges. This will give your a snuggle double thickness scarf. Alternatively, you could buy some soft polar fleece and line the back which would make it super snuggly and very professional looking. Finally, you could knit a non-rolling border of some sort. Follow Amy's directions for picking up stitches and work a border of garter stitch on each side. Try picking up stitches on each short edge and work 1.5-2" of garter, then pick up stitches on each long side, including the edges of the borders you just knit and work the same number of rows of garter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I've tried adding flat borders to stockinetts scarves, and still had the stockinette curl in, and just bring the borders in with it. It will be more responsive to blocking though, with a border.

Marnie, I love your fleece idea. I've seen scarves like this, now that you mention it. They're really cute and comfy. The double thickness idea is also brilliant.

I had another non-scarf idea. You could sew the sides together and make a bag out of it. If it's bigger than you like, and it's wool, you could then felt it.

...I can't wait to hear what you do with it!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 11-24-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
ashley
Ribbing the Cuff

thanks for everyones suggestions, very helpful. so now i know not to knit in stockinette for a scarf unless there is a border around it. oh well, i got very good at knitting and purling so it wasn't a total loss. i was thinking about what to do with it and if i sew up the three sides, and attach some sort of handle (sturdy handle) i think it would make a cool wine carrier. it seems to be the perfect size and since im new to knitting, i really just want to see a completed project. impatient i know So im going to try this and see how it works. if it doesnt work for wine then i will just have long tube shaped bag. but im ok with that. thanks again everyone.

my impatience got the best of me.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:53 AM   #6
amigarabita
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to amigarabita
oh! i love the wine bag carrier idea!
Old 11-26-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Great idea!

Amy

Martha Graham
Old 11-28-2004, 10:47 AM   #8
Cellcept
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Cellcept
Hi All

I tried a swatch the other day in stockinette stitch by slipping the first stitch kwise wyib on the knit rows, and slipping the first stitch pwise wyif on the purl rows and it seemed to stop MOST of the curling. It curls just a tad but not too bad, so for those of you who dont mind a little curling inwards, this would help somewhat if you still want to attempt stockinette scarves. I would still do 6+ rows of garter/seed stitch on the bottom and top of it though to stop it from curling upwards.

Rick
Cellcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #9
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

When you do a little swatch, it's hard to get a sense of how much the stockinette wants to curl, because the bottom and top curl in more, and they act as a brace to keep the sides from curling in (this works on a little swatch). So it may look like the sides won't curl in, but when you make a long item, they will definitely curl! You need to edge the scarf with at least an inch and a half of seed stitch or some flat border, to keep it from curling, and block it as well.

Amy

Martha Graham
Old 11-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #10
Cellcept
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Cellcept
I did not do a "little" swatch. Granted, I didnt do 8 feet either, but I did do 54 rows. As I said in my post, it curled a little, not much. I never claimed it would not curl at all.

Rick
Cellcept is offline   Reply With Quote