Old 01-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Thank heaven for knitting!
I just had to spend 1 week in the hospital (visiting - not me admitted) due to a family emergency and knitting passed the time so well. While in the ICU I saw several people knitting. Seems to be a great way to get your mind off of things
Nuno930 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Anne
Knitting the Flap

I agree with you. Knitting is so relaxing. My Daughter lives in Brookline, Ma. This morning while we were talking on the phone she said " Mom i need to find something to do to relax". I suggested Knitting as her best friend is a avid knitter. She will have someone close by to teach her.

When we hung up i sent her Amy's site. Hope DD starts soon.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Nuno, I hope your family-member is better!

I just love how knitting passes the time, and how much it really does relax you!

I always try to have my knitting with me, for those times spent waiting. The other day I was at the post office, and had to wait in long line (which is typical there--I know to bring my knitting in with me!). I could have waited in that line twice, I was so content! Even standing up like that, knitting can be relaxing! I let someone go ahead of me, who just needed to pick up a form, and she commented that I was "Zen because I had my knitting." So true! LOL!

I take advantage of this often. I've even been known to knit in traffic!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
PiousPoet
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to PiousPoet
The knitting in traffic could prove kind of interesting. That is if your the one driving... :D
PiousPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:41 PM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I was the one driving! ...Mind you, the traffic was barely moving.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
Egeria
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Egeria Send a message via Yahoo to Egeria
I would have to agree with you guys on this one. It's very relaxing to just sit and knit. I find if I take my knitting to work and spend my lunch hour knitting it helps me get through the day. I deal with some very demanding people so its nice to have something to unwind with.

At home it also keeps me from jumping up to the kitchen too often. If I weren't knitting it'd be so easy for me to be snacking!!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #7
Roxanne
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Roxanne
I can't tell you how much I enjoy knitting for this very reason too! Not only am I relaxing but I'm using my time creatively! I sure do love that part! The only time I wasn't knitting was when my back was hurting too much...and I sure did miss it! I try to do even just a bit of knitting daily just to get my mind off things...

I like the "zen" comment Amy...my blog is named after that very same idea! I truly think knitting is zen-like...because it's so relaxing and calming!
Gifts for Fiber Enthusiasts: http://yarngiftbouquets.com
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Holly
Knitting the Flap

I love relaxing by knitting and listening to the TV -- I find it hard to just sit and watch TV without knitting now!
Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
roxyquiksilver34
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by PiousPoet
The knitting in traffic could prove kind of interesting. That is if your the one driving... :D
Quick funny story - Dec 24th I was on my way to work about 10 am and had stopped @ a traffic light. I had a Santa hat on and one of the scarves on circs I was pulling together for a Christmas pressie to be given later that night - when this minivan pulled up next to me and the lady in the passenger seat had a Santa hat on too and some small knitting project she was working on while her husband drove. She looked over @ me and what I was doing and had hubby honk the horn then we both held up our needles... then the car behind me honked too --- it was ANOTHER knitting lady in a Santa hat who had hubby driving and she waved her project @ us as well.....

It's great to know that there's a common thread among all us knitters :D
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((
roxyquiksilver34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #10
PiousPoet
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to PiousPoet
That is a funny story. I take it your husband was driving? Hehe.
PiousPoet is offline   Reply With Quote