Old 01-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

Jessica, I made slippers. Here's what I did re felting: I put through the washer like they said and used a bit of Woolite and took out before the spin cycle. Nothing really happened. Did that twice. Then put in wash tub with HOT water, more Woolite. I thought they were done. Rung them out with towel and tried to form them - they were still a bit big, sloppy, and I could still see the knitting stitches. Read more. Then realized wasn't right. Did the wash tub thing again, etc. Tried to form. Still could see a bit of the knitting stitches. Then I saw where they really scrubbed the fibers together! So I got a metal rack out of my microwave, put in wash tub and rubbed the slippers hard on it for a bit and then rubbed them together a bit. Rinsed, rung them out with towel, and put on my bare feet to form. THEY ARE PERFECT! When I take them off, it looks like my feet are sitting there on the floor!! I LOVE THEM!

I think now all I have to do to clean them when dirty is wash in cold water, ring in towel, slip them on for form. And then let dry again.

Anyway, good luck. I know your purse will work out great. By the way, I used Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride and only used one strand instead of double like most say to do. But I think the double would make them really really great!
Jouf is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #12
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

I thought I'd post a picture of my felted slippers. I am new at knitting and was thrilled that one of my first projects is so usefull and great.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010093.jpg
Views:	1898
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	19152  
Old 01-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #13
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jouf
By the way, I used Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride and only used one strand instead of double like most say to do. But I think the double would make them really really great!
Did you use Bulky or Worsted?

Those slippers look fantastic!!!
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #14
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Those look really nice. I want to make a pair for my family. Having the three of us running around in those slippers would be cute. Would it be a bad idea to put some of that "rubber" stuff on the bottom or would that somehow wreck the felting? Our house is going to be all linoleum on the main floor, so I am concerned about slipping.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #15
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

Feministmama: I used worsted. That's what the recipe called for.

And, by the way, it's at www.Knittingatnoon.com and it's the "family of slippers" But there's a more detailed description at www.knitty.com - Fuzzy Feet.

Beldaraan - that's what my daughter just suggested to me - re some kind of rubber bottom (so she can wear them outside).

I've never done anything like that and don't even know what it is or how you do it. But you'd have to put it on after the felting whatever it is.

Let me know if you do it. Oh, and I have slick tile in kitchen and large hallway and am not having any trouble with sliding yet. But you know how kids are - better be safe.

Jouf
Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #16
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

Ann - I don't think you really need a washing machine to make those felted purses. Just put in sink with hot water and soap and agitate them yourself. I think it'd work.

I'm going to make up a bunch of slippers and when my daughter, her boyfriend, and my mom, etc., come over, I'll felt them with them here so I can form them to their feet! What a funny night that'll be.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #17
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Jouf, those slippers are amazing!!! Nice job!!!

I've never tried felting before. That looks like a really fun project though, I may have to give it a try, when I find some time to work on personal projects!

As I said, I've never done felting, but I've read that a good way to do it is in the washing machine, with hot water, and a pair of jeans thrown in to promote agitation. I would think it would work best with the machine only half full of water or so. I've read you can felt them this way, and just keep checking on them, and trying them on!, until they're the right size! I can see how doing it by hand would work, too, but I'm lazy so I'll probably try the machine first! LOL!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #18
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Jouf~

The "rubber" stuff I'm talking about is like the stuff that is put on the bottom of infant and toddler socks for grips. There's usually a pattern (like paw prints) or the company slogan on them. I think I've seen it at Michael's and I'm sure any craft place would sell it. In fact I think companies like Barbie and Crayola also have kits where you can put your own patterns on clothing.

Doing the felting in the sink sounds like a good idea to me. That way I won't have to wait until I move into the house to get at my washing machine It also seems like I would have more control over the agitating process, plus I would be able to see it happen. Maybe I'll try those slippers next after I'm finished my hubby's hat.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:03 PM   #19
roxyquiksilver34
1st Leg of the Journey

I am 1/3 thru my first Booga Bag and on the advice from my LYS iwas told to felt by tying it & the i-cord in a pillowcase with a few towels or washcloths and washing in hot, rinse in cold. It may take 3-4 rounds, but you can also run your other wash to save water :D

Will post a pic when I'm done
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((
roxyquiksilver34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #20
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

The Booga bag is so cute! and I **L O V E** noro yarn.

About the rubber stuff on the bottom ofslippers... i read somewhere that you could use puffy paint/fabric paint on the bottoms of slippers to make a non-slip sole. After the slippers are dry, just squeeze the paint right rom the bottle ointo the bottoms.... you can do swirlies, names, ... customize for each person in the family. I suppose you could put it on the tops to, for decoration. I'm pretty sure that stuff is washable, but I've never tried this technique.