Old 01-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
christine
Ribbing the Cuff

Want to Learn Cables Next
Okay, now that I have knitted a half dozen hats on the circular needles and have fallen in love with knitting on DP, I am ready again to venture out to something new.

I have watched the cable video a couple of times and have read several how to books. But I am at a loss at how to do parts. Iget the put some of the stitches on the cable needle and the twisting thing.

But do you do this every row?

I guess what I am looking for is instructions for a little swatch with a couple of cables on it -- like on row one do this and on row two do this.

Thanks a bunch
christine
christine is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
anise
Ribbing the Cuff

I used this pattern to learn:

http://www.knitting-and.com/homework/plaited.htm

Try the second one first. It's really quite simple to do.
anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I was nervous to try cables, but I finally just decided to do it, and it wasn't hard at all. I used the cable pattern in "the Everything Knitting Book" to learn cables. The cable is made up of 8 rows (or whatever the directions say) that repeat, and you only do the twist thing once per repeat.
Another cable-ish stitch is a right or left twist; that would be a super duper easy peasy way to get started., because it's just two stitches, and you don't need a cable needle; this is done every row.
Incidentally, my cats were FACTINATED with the dangly sparkly shiny cable needle, and eventually ran off with it; I used this link http://wendyknits.net/knit/leftcable.htm to do cables without using a cable needle until I found the it (under the entertainment center with some yarn, a random needle and some dental floss... go figure)