Old 01-13-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
knittingnanna
Casting On

ribbing that stays tight
Years ago someone showed me how to do a cast on stitch that makes the ribbing retain its stretchiness and won't become loose later on. I know it was a little complicated but I can't remember for the life of me how to do it. I am knitting a pair of wool baby pants and I was trying to find a cast on that help keep the k2 p2 ribbed waistband so it stays like elastic and won't stretch out after a few wears and washings. I hope this makes sense.
knittingnanna is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi knittingnanna,

Amy has a page with different types of cast-ons here:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ques/index.php

Do any of those help you? (There is an "Alternate Cable Cast-On" that is right down the bottom of the page and it looks like what you are asking about?)

I read somewhere that the "old norweigian cast-on" is good for k2-p2 ribs, and Amy has a video for this cast-on on as well...
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:50 AM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I'm not an expert on how cast-ons wear, but I would guess that alternate cable cast-on would be the best choice. It's the firmest of the stretchy cast-ons that I know of.

I would worry that Old Norwegian wouldn't be stretchy enough.

Good luck!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
Shannon
Casting On

ok, I am also trying find a nice cast on to use at the top of pants that is very elasticy. I went to the video on the alternate cable cast on but I can't understand it because I knit the english way so the video is to hard to figure out. Can you please help me.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Shannon!

You treat it like the knit and purl stitches, but instead of putting the right needle into the loop of the next stitch, you put the needle between the two stitches on the left needle. You just alternate knitting and purling through this space, and putting the loop it creates onto the left needle. Hope that helps.

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote