Old 01-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
Peg
Ribbing the Cuff

help with pattern please
I'm trying to figure out the instructions for the 'My So Called Scarf' pattern I found through the knitting pattern central site.
http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposi...79.html#000079

I'm not understanding how to do row 1.
Quote:
•Row 1: K1, *sl 1, K1, psso but before dropping the slipped stitch from the left needle, knit into the back of it* repeat until there is one stitch left, K1
I'm sure I'm just being very dense about this, but I'm just not 'getting' it.
Thanks!
Peg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

wow. this is wierd. I looked in all my books and couldn't find anyting about it. Judging from the number of people who looked at this (and the number who didn't respond!) I'd guess that we're all stumped. Amy the genius will have an answer though.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

After watching Amy's video on psso, I've got everything except for one little part. How do you knit into the back of a stitch??? Where does the yarn go? Would that maybe put some sort of twist or turn into it? Instead of putting the needle in through the front, you could try to enter the needle through the back of the stitch and knit it.

If the Alphas around here can't figure it out, I will try to do what I'm pretty sure is the instruction and see if it works.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Peg~

Did you get this figured out yet? I am interested to know. I finished my project so I was going to play around with some experiments before attempting my next project. I absolutely love that pattern, so I am going to give it a try.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
PiousPoet
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to PiousPoet
I'm not positively sure, but if I read it right, you do the standard procedure until the psso. I believe that they want you to pick up the stitch as if you were to pass it over, and pass it over as normal. However, don't take the st off the left needle after it has been removed from the right. Knit into the back of the st, or the trailing edge (see Amy's abbreviation page for a video).
PiousPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Peg!

Nice pattern!

Okay, I keep a set of needles and yarn right by my computer here, for little forum emergencies like this. LOL. I've figured it out....

The directions are good; I'll try to clarify them a bit more, and see if it helps. You do a slip, knit, pass decrease, as they say (watch the SKP decrease video if it helps), but don't pull the left needle out of that first stitch you've passed over. You will have this loop still on the left needle, and a loop on the right needle that you just passed that stitch over. You need to knit into this left loop, without twisting it. Because of the way this stitch is oriented on the left needle, this looks a lot like working a knit stitch the "combined knitting" way. (See the basic techniques section, combined knitting video.) Basically, you are inserting the right needle down into the back end of the stitch, and pulling a loop of working yarn up through it, to knit it.

Hope that helps!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
— Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:58 AM   #7
Peg
Ribbing the Cuff

Omg, PiousPoet and Amy, you've done it! Thank you so much for 'splaining this so I could understand! I've followed your explanation and the pattern is knitting up beautifully on my practice yarn! Now to get my hands on some yummy Manos!
beldaraan, have you given the pattern a try yet?
Thank you again!
Peg
Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Not yet Peg. I'm working on my hubby's Valentine's gift. I haven't seen anything exactly the way I want it, so I'm doing my own design. Right now I'm working on some model stuff.

I'm itchin' real bad to get to the knitting store though. I need the right colours of yarn for my hubby's gift, and I want to make that scarf! Or at least see if I can do that pattern. Maybe I'll try and make a sweater using that design. I don't know yet, but I want to try it anyway.

I'll keep you posted.

scratch, scratch
Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
Lily1998688
Casting On

I NEED HELP TOO!
Hi everyone,

Looks like this is a pretty old thread! I found this pattern also from the same website and came to this message board for help. I'm new to knitting, but I think I understand what to do, but for some reason my scarf is starting off looking a lot different than I had pictured. To be extra clear, here are the steps I took:

CO 30 stitches
Row 1: K1, SL1, K1, PSSO onto left needle, K1 into back of passed over stitch, SL1, K1, PSSO onto left needle ......... until last stitch, K1

Row 2: P2TOG, do not slip stitches off, P first stitch, slip off the first 2 purled together stitches, repeat

I'm using Manos wool and US9 needles. I've been knitting the stitches semi-tight to make the stitches easier to knit. Should I be making the stitches really loose to make it easier? Or should I try larger needles? Also, I'm finding it super hard to stay consistent. What should I do? Thanks in advance! =)
Lily1998688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
There are several people who have completed this scarf, and can give you excellent advice on it. I would suggest, though, that you post a question asking for help with the My So-Called Scarf in the title. You'll attract the right people to it then.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote