Old 01-17-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
PiousPoet
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to PiousPoet
DPN's v Circulars
Does anyone prefer to use DPN's over circulars even for larger diameter knitting?
PiousPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

Do you? I'm rather new at knitting, but I wouldn't dream of it. I did my first pair of slippers recently and I didn't have the right size circular, so I made size 11 dpn's out of dowels like Amy's video says, and I did them, it worked, but the next pair I did on circular, and comparatively it was a breeze!

I just started a vest that's on single point 6's and I'm wishing I had my set of Denise's circulars that I ordered already. I hate knitting with the long sticks! I'd prefer something on DPN's than long sticks. I guess I hold my right elbow out too much, and it gets tired.

For what it's worth, that's a green knitter's opinion!

Jouf
Jouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
PiousPoet
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm new too, but I was curious as to other's opinions. I'll probably end up working on DPN's rather than circs, mainly because I'm cheap and don't want to buy circs cuz I'm saving up to get a bamboo circ interchangeable set. Though maybe I will buy one set of circs for the size that I use most.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:51 PM   #4
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

I didn't think the dpn's were that much less expensive than circ's (unless you make them). I just ordered the Denise interchangeables. I hope I like them.
Jouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
amigarabita
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to amigarabita
i prefer circs to dpns. jouf --you'll love the denise interchangeables, i think. i do!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:22 AM   #6
PiousPoet
Ribbing the Cuff

I know the price of DPN v circ should be close, but I don't need multiple sets of circs if I am getting the bamboo set. I'll need the DPN's anyways for the smaller decrases and such. Maybe I'll knit my first hat on DPN to fully get them under control and go from there.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:14 AM   #7
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

I prefer dpn to circs... though they are more complicated to manage, it just feels more right to me. I'm working on a hat with circs now, and it is nice... but I can't wait to switch down to dpn for the decreasing part of the project.

I guess one of the things I like is that as long as you've got enought dpns, you don't have to worry about cord length like circs... they can support a large diameter or a small diameter depending on how many needles you've got going on.

And besides, it looks cooler when you knit on many needles in front of people :)
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
I've been using dpn's, and last night finished a bag I was doing on circ's. I have to say that I was longing for some DPN's. They don't feel clumsy at all to me, and I also like to have the stopping points at the end of each needle as opposed to crap slipping off the circ everytime I stop. (I have to stop alot to take care of the wee'uns.)

I'm seriously rethinking my plans to buy an interchangable circ set. (I still may just to use for flat pieces...but there is a certain charm to a big old bamboo needle. )

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote