Old 01-18-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
christine
Ribbing the Cuff

I want a cool picture like everyone else, but how do I get what I want to be a small file. I scanned it at the lowest possible setting, but it is still too big. Help

christine
christine is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2005, 12:00 AM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Hi Christine,

First, select the area you want to use, and "crop" it, so you don't have lots of image that you don't want, if you haven't already done this. Then, "Resize" it. Look in the edit menu, or image menu, depending on your program. For a big avatar, like Marnie's dog image, you can do 150 pixels wide. For a small one like mine, you can do 60 pixels wide.

Good luck! If you have more questions, let us know what program you're using.

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:15 AM   #3
christine
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks Amy
I had forgetten about the resize button. with my new obsession (knitting) I haven't been at the computer doing scanning as much.
christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Looks great, Christine! Nice avatar!!!! What a couple of cuties.

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 04-13-2005, 12:03 AM   #5
Fernwood
Ribbing the Cuff

I finally stirred myself to upload an avatar, but I can't get a file small enough that looks like anything. I was going to do a close-cropped view of my recently completed baby hat. Despite slashing it to 79 x 80 pixels it is still a 16 KB file at 72 dpi. If I reduce dpi I trim the file somewhat, but not enough, and the image starts to look lousy. I also tried decreasing the color depth--again a minimal gain. I see avatars with beautiful pictures of people and I think there must be something I don't know about shrinking the file while preserving some resolution. I generally use Irfanview for resizing. Can anyone help?
Attached Images:

Old 04-13-2005, 12:09 AM   #6
Fernwood
Ribbing the Cuff

I mean, how can there be animated avatars and I can't get a silly little hat in a recognizable state?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Hmmm, :thinking: I use Irfanview all the time, it's not the program I don't think. You're not trying to change the DPI or anything? DH says you shouldn't change that. I think it's just the nature of the image you're using that it doesn't resize as well as you'd like.

Looks good to me, though! What don't you like about it? Looks like a cute baby hat....

Amy

Martha Graham
Old 04-13-2005, 01:45 AM   #8
Julie
Instepping Out

phpbb (the bulletin board) won't allow you to upload a file larger than 6kb, but you can link to an offsite avatar that is bigger if you'd like. What I usually recommend is using a site that allows direct linking, like photobucket.

I have big ol' long instructions that I've written out (it's not hard, I was just very detailed because I wrote them for beginners!) on how to do this... if you would like them, please pm me and I will send them to you!
Old 04-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #9
Fernwood
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Julie
phpbb (the bulletin board) won't allow you to upload a file larger than 6kb, but you can link to an offsite avatar that is bigger if you'd like. What I usually recommend is using a site that allows direct linking, like photobucket.
Ahhh, that must be it. Thanks, Julie.
Amy, the hat itself is fine ; the image above is pretty fine, too, but it is still 2.5x the size limit. When I try to downsize enough to get to <6 KB it's just a cute blue smudge.... So I assume your photo avatar is not a little teeny <6 KB file?
I have a couple of sites where I have uploaded some photos, so maybe I can link to an image on one of them.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
Julie
Instepping Out

Fern, I sent you the instructions....if anyone else would like them feel free to pm me.