Old 01-26-2005, 12:50 AM   #1
dereckg
Casting On

The many benefits of freecycling...
I just wanted to advocate, if I may, a program that now exists in 2,152 communities around the world where people can swap or give away things that they no longer need. This was how I got ahold of my first set of knitting needles (9 sets actually - I lucked out ). Anyhow, there's a link below if you want to read into what the program is all about. I thought this might be an okay thing to post here since this particular forum topic is Buy/Sell/Swap, but if you don't think this post is appropriate, then by all means remove it, and I'm sorry for my bad judgment...otherwise:

Please go here: http://www.freecycle.org/

Protect the environment, stop the expansion of landfills, don't waste.-dg
dereckg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2005, 01:26 AM   #2
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot
I think it's a great idea and a great site.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
amigarabita
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to amigarabita
i just tried to join but yahoo group apparetnly has a common user name of mine. i follow the instructions to join and then it gives me a funky word to decipher which i can't read and then makes me repeat this game endlessly. i sent an e-mail to the local group asking for advice. i want to join!
Old 01-30-2005, 02:45 AM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks DereckG! What a great program! I just joined my local group in Amherst. How exciting!

What a great idea!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
dereckg
Casting On

amigarabita, I know what you mean, trying to figure out those ridiculous, muddled words can be a pain. Once you have entered it in properly (which can sometimes require some guesswork), and have chosen an original name, you should be ready to go. I don't really know what my mean by 'and then makes me repeat this game endlessly', except that perhaps the name you are trying to use has been taken and it wants you to come up with a new one.

Anyhow, I hope this helps, or if not, then I hope you can get some help from the local group.

Amy, welcome aboard, I hope you can put this program to good use

-dg
dereckg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Bummble
Casting On

Derekg, what a wonderful link!
I really like the idea. There are only two groups in the Netherlands at the moment, none of the close to where I live, but fortunately we have something like that in our building already; in the hallway downstairs there are some shelves where you can leave anything you don't need/want anymore, for people to take. It's a lovely way to get rid of clutter and disappointing cookies, and it's always exciting to see what's there!
Visitors have to be warned not to put down their umbrellas, hats or magazines there though.....;-)

Wouldn't it be wonderful if, say, supermarkets would just have a little table or something (next to the board with ads maybe) that works the same way? It would make things so much simpler.
Bummble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #7
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
A fabulous idea! I just sent a request to join our local group. Thanks for sharing this!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Some one suggested to me that you can get free yarn through this group, too. Makes sense. How many people have extra stash yarn they don't want, or have an elderly family member that passed, leaving a huge stash of yarn. If you're knitting for charity, people would be especially willing to give you their old yarn I bet.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
lyambra
Casting On

Thanks for bringing this up. I just heard about it in our "neck of the woods" in the last month or two. It seems like it is really taking off!

Lori
lyambra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:26 AM   #10
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Kewlness....totally awesome!

dereckg, thanks for letting us know about this effort!
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote