Old 01-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #1
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
Help me with this STUPID sock!
ok, this is my first sock. I watched the video, and I thought I had it...but this pattern has to be funky. It is from Family Circle's Easy Knits for Kids. Here is where I am getting all buggered up.

For the heel is has me Row1 (WS) Sl 1 Purlwise, p to end. ROW2 *Wyib, sl 1 purlwise, kl; rep from 0 to end. Rep these rows until piece measures 1 inch, end with a p row. turn heel.

Next Row (WS) Sl 1, pl2, p2tog, p1, turn ROW2 Sl 1, k3, SKP, k1, turn.

Ok, I get everything until is says "kl". What is that? later it says pl2, what is that? and then the creme de la creme....the "Next Row" and "ROW2" are mathematically impossible. There are too few stitches left on the needle to do the ROW2! UGH!

I have checked the website for erratta, and I have also checked for the abbreviations "kl" and "pl". It is 2:14am and I have got to give it up now. I hope someone gets this so that I don't spend tomorrow going nuts too.

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #2
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
Wyib, sl 1 purlwise, kl
Translation: With yarn at the back, slip 1, knit 1. Repeat this slip1/knit 1 pattern to the end of the row.

You're basically just doing slip1,k1 for the entire row. (so kl=k1), and each time you slip purlwise, make sure the yarn is in back.

Quote:
Rep these rows until piece measures 1 inch, end with a p row. turn heel.
Translation: Once you've got a "heel flap" that is 1 inch long, you're ready to beging "turning the heel".

Quote:
Next Row (WS) Sl 1, pl2, p2tog, p1, turn

ROW2 Sl 1, k3, SKP, k1, turn.
Hmm, I think there's an error there because you're right that it's not physically possible to work back after you turn without running out of stitches.

Just guessing, but I think this is what they actually meant to print:

Next Row (Wrong Side): slip 1,purl to the midpoint in your work, purl 2, purl 2 together, purl 1, turn
ROW 2: slip 1, knit 3, psso, knit 1, turn.

Maybe pl2 was meant to be "purl to midway".

I say this because the pattern looks to me like a French or round heel, except for a child. It seems like the same heel that Amy works in her video, except that in your pattern, the second row has a k3 instead of a k4.
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

I see what you mean....but I can't see how it works with the rest of heel. Here is the whole rest of it, from the decreasing point.

Next row (WS) Sl 1, pl2, p2tog, p1, turn. Row 2 Sl 1. k3, SKP, k1, turn. Row 3 Sl 1, p4, p2tog, pl, turn. Row 4 Sl 1, k5, SKP, k1, turn. Cont in this way aleays having 1 more st before dec and SKP on RS rows, p2tog on WS rows until all sts have been worked - 14 sts remain.

It just doesn't seem to work for me. I understand all of the abbreviations...it just doesn't work together. (The website has an erratta page too....I guess they didn't think there was anything wrong with this one. )

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi again YarnMommy,

Quote:
Next row (WS) Sl 1, pl2, p2tog, p1, turn. Row 2 Sl 1. k3, SKP, k1, turn. Row 3 Sl 1, p4, p2tog, pl, turn. Row 4 Sl 1, k5, SKP, k1, turn. Cont in this way aleays having 1 more st before dec and SKP on RS rows, p2tog on WS rows until all sts have been worked - 14 sts remain.
OK, this is definitely a French heel. In each consecutive row, you work one more stitch than in the previous row. So your pattern is:

Next row (WS): Sl 1, purl to midpoint, p2, p2tog, p1, turn.

[eg if you have 20 stitches on your heel needle: slip 1, p9+2 (ie p11), p2tog, p1 turn]

Row 2: Sl 1. k3, SKP, k1, turn.

Row 3: Sl 1, p4, p2tog, pl, turn.

Row 4: Sl 1. k5, SKP, k1, turn.

Row 5: Sl 1, p6, p2tog, pl, turn.

Row 6: Sl 1. k7, SKP, k1, turn.

Row 7: Sl 1, p8, p2tog, pl, turn.

etc, until you have used up all stitches either side of the gaps.

I have bolded the numbers to show you what they mean by "Cont in this way always having 1 more st before dec"

When you've used up all those stitches either side of the gaps, you should be left with 14 stitches, and you will find that the fabric has formed into a heel.

I think it should work, but if my maths is wrong, everyone please let me know!

I hope that kind of makes sense! If you're not confident that this is right, get some scrap yarn, knit up a test heel flap and work the heel turn to see what happens.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

I feel so stupid that I am not getting this. I am not sure what you mean by a "gap". Right now I have an inch of heel going on a needle with 24sts on the needle, and 12 stitches on 2 other needles that will be worked up later.

I think I may print out this thread and go to my LYS and bug someone. I really just can't get my head around it. I'm gonna try watching amy's video (you said that it is also a french heel).

I know this is one of those things that once you get it you get it....but geez. Thank you so much for your help salsa.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

YarnMommy, you are not stupid!!! I have had one of those "d'oh!!!!" moments. Which means I am the stupid one. :D

I think the pl2 = p12 (purl 12).

So it's:

Next row (WS): Sl 1, p12, p2tog, p1, turn.

Row 2: Sl 1. k3, SKP, k1, turn.

Row 3: Sl 1, p4, p2tog, pl, turn.

Row 4: Sl 1. k5, SKP, k1, turn.

Row 5: Sl 1, p6, p2tog, pl, turn.

Row 6: Sl 1. k7, SKP, k1, turn.

Row 7: Sl 1, p8, p2tog, pl, turn.

etc.

I tested it with a scrap and it seems to be working:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	1415
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	19161  
Old 01-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #7
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

That's some nice pink photoshopping.

12 makes sense....I am gonna go and try again. I'm really glad you answered this since every LYS around here is closed on Mondays. DOH!

Old 01-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

:idea: Would you two please stop calling yourselves stupid?! You're not stupid just because something in a knitting pattern comes along your way that you don't understand. Now finish that sock and post a pic please so we can all fully enjoy your success! Thank you.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

I finished the sock last night, and it went great as soon as I quit thinking about it so much. I just did it, and lookee there...there were gaps and all that fun stuff that just appeared. I kitchener stitched the toe up SIDEWAYS...and so pulled that out and redid it. Then I let my dd try the sock on and it was too big and too short in the toe...so I took it all out and wound it up to find another smaller pattern. It drives my knitting buddies crazy that I just rip completed work out all the time...but I need the yarn!

I will make more socks when I am done with the poncho for Amy and post pictures of the wonderful rainbow socks.

And thank you again!

Old 01-25-2005, 12:31 PM   #10
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Woohoo! Congratulations YarnMommy!!! :D :D :D