Old 11-18-2004, 07:37 PM   #1
schmidge
Casting On

Knitting books?
Hi There!
I was just pondering buying the Stitch and B!tch book off Amazon and thought I would see if any of you have any knitting book favorites.

[Editor's note: I have tried to link the books in this thread to Amazon using this site's special links, but they don't seem to be working properly. To support this site, use the links on the Free Patterns page. Thanks! --Amy]
schmidge is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-18-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
jacquieh
Casting On

I have been knitting for a long time now and am quite addicted to knitting books. I always ask for one when asked what I'd like for a gift.

For me they fall into several categories:

technique, template, stitch library, design, designer, inspiration, knitlit

I have favourites in each.

Technique: Vogue Knitting and the Big Book Of Knitting, Sally Melville' Knitting Experience series (Book 1, Book 2)

Template: Ann Budd's Handy Book of patterns, AB's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns and A Knitter's Template

Stitch Library: Barbara Walker' Treasuries (Book 1, Book 2, Book 3, Book 4)

Design: Deborah Newton's Designing Knitwear and Maggie Righetti's Sweater Design in Plain English

Designer: Meg Swanson, Sally Melville, Kaffe Fassett, anything Rowan puts out

Inspiration: Kaffe Fassett books, art books

Knitlit: The Knitting Sutra, Knitlit

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the books available so I am sure you'll get as many different recommendations as there are posters to this board.

I would recommend borrowing as many as you can from the library or friends or browsing in Barnes and Noble to see which ones suit your current needs and fancies.

Jacquie's Journal
Bloggers' Paradise
jacquieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:36 AM   #3
amigarabita
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to amigarabita
i love stitch n bitch. the little tips she throws in here and there from accomplished knitters are really good. i've become a much better knitter by picking up some of those ideas.

i, coincidentally, just bought s n' b nation today, her next book. i haven't read any of it yet, but the patterns are very cute.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, Vogue Knitting, Stitch 'N Bitch, Handy Book of patterns are among my fav's! I haven't checked out Stich 'N Bitch Nation yet, I'll have to check it out!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
Holly
Knitting the Flap

Does the Stitch N Bitch book reference Continental style knitting? It sounds like a great book!
Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
Peg
Ribbing the Cuff

I realize this is an 'older' thread but it was exactly what I was looking for!

Holly, yes, Stich'n Bitch does cover the basics of Continental.

I have both of Sally Melville's experience books and love them. I also have Stitch'n Bitch. For sweaters, my dearest friend gave me Knitting Simple Sweaters with Luxurious Yarns by Marilyn Cohen. While I've yet to get up my courage to knit a sweater, the patterns in this book look to be quite straightforward and, well, simple, and yes, beautiful! Beverly Galeska's Felted knits is quite good too.

I've been going through the knitting books at Barnes and Noble's site and couldn't help but wonder what books everyone thinks are 'must haves' in their knitting library. So what say you, what are your 'go to' books?
Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
knitting books
My first 3 books were Stitch N Bitch, Sally Melville's Knitting Experience: Knit Stitch, and her Knitting Experience: Purl Stitch. From these and a few websites I taught myself how to knit last June. I wish I had been able to look at the videos here. Not that these books aren't great - I refer to Sally's all the time and I'm waiting for the next one.

For Christmas, I got a Stitch Library book, which I think will be a lot of fun when I branch out more and tweak patterns, and a Stitch-a-day perpetual calendar, which is great too. I also got Knit Wit, which is not an instruction book, but has some interesting patterns. I've already made 6 fuzzy feet!

For my birthday I'm getting Stitch N Bitch Nation - I already plan on making the wrist warmers.

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Remember to check the Stitch and Bitch website for pattern corrections!!!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:49 PM   #9
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Thanks! I printed them out and stuck them in the book!

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:45 AM   #10
amigarabita
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to amigarabita
oh wow -- i didn't even know there were corrections on the stitch and bitch website. thanks for that! also, if you are making something from either s&b book, you can go to craftser.org and there is an entire forum dedicated to discussing the making of those patterns. the tips and experiences from others who have made stuff from them are great. debbie stoller posts there a bunch too, in that forum, as do some of the pattern designers.

other books i enjoy are the "yarn girls guides to... kid knits/simple knits"
they are good for simple, adaptable patterns that knit up quickly. if you need to make a kid or a friend, or yourself, a sweater fast, check out this series of books.