Old 01-29-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
susieru
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to susieru
Help on correcting mistakes
HELP!! I'm a new knitter and I seem to occasionally,but fairly regularly, add a stitch. I'm not exactly sure why this happens but when I unravel a whole row, it's really hard for me to get the needle back in. The knitting book I have suggests unraveling the stitches one at a time by putting the needle into the row below the last stitch I made and undoing the stitch above, but I'm not sure how to find the stitch in the row below...It's getting kinda frustrating to keep unraveling everything I've done-any suggestions??
susieru is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
Carie
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Carie
Finding old stitches
That has happened to me too. I think how you undo a single stitch depends on the kind of stitch it is. Assuming you want to undo a stitch that is the last one on your right needle, you can stick the left needle into the "neck" of the first stitch on the right needle, slip it over to the left needle and pull out the yarn. Do this one stitch at a time until you get the row un-done. Caution -- you might end up with stitches on the left needle that are twisted. Try to make sure they're facing the right direction.

As to how you accidently add stitches, it could be because sometime you put the right needle in the wrong loop of the left needle. Also, sometimes when I'm doing ribbing (k1,p1,k1,p1, etc), and I have to pull the yarn from back to front every stitch, I accidently hook the yarn onto the needle and then knit (or purl) the next stitch. It ends up indadvertently being the equivalent of a "yarn over" (looping yarn around the needle to add a new stitch to the row).

HTH

Carie
Old 01-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
susieru
Casting On

Thanks for the suggestion! Every time I got farther along on my project, I would start to get nervous for fear of making a mistake. Hopefully, my beginning attempts will now be a little less stressful and a lot more fun. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
I think you can fix the extra stitch by dropping it on the next row rather than frogging. You just have to be able to determine which stitch is the extra one and it sounds like you can do that.

Does this make sense?

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
susieru
Casting On

Correcting a mistake
Thanks for the suggestion! That actually does make sense to me so maybe I understand more that I thought. Maybe this will be a little less stressful now.
Thanks again!