Old 02-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
taranw
Casting On

Help with stitches
Can anyone tell me what the difference between "adding" a stitch and "increasing" a stitch? Is there even a difference? I am working on a sweater that has a V neck (been working on it for a LONG time and continue to get stuck at this part ) and the pattern calls for adding 3 stitches; the book gives an example of "adding" but it is very confusing to me...wondered if I could "increase" and have it still work the same way???

Also, the V neck pattern indicates that I have to work both sides at the same time, and since I have to work with 2 balls of yarn will both yarns come out on the same side...will one come out on the RS of the work and the other on the WS of the work???

Thanks for the help!!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: Help with stitches
Originally Posted by taranw
Can anyone tell me what the difference between "adding" a stitch and "increasing" a stitch? Is there even a difference? I am working on a sweater that has a V neck (been working on it for a LONG time and continue to get stuck at this part ) and the pattern calls for adding 3 stitches; the book gives an example of "adding" but it is very confusing to me...wondered if I could "increase" and have it still work the same way???
It's difficult to answer your question without know exactly *how* the pattern tells you to add the 3 sts. (Or at least it's difficult for me to answer )Does it say to "cast on" 3 additional sts?? I think that method would give you a hole in the work, potentially for buttons. Does is say to add 3 sts even across the row? That can be solved by simply knitting (or purling) in the front and back of 3 existing sts even spaced across the row. Is the addition done by lift the parallel bar from the previous row? ...

Also, the V neck pattern indicates that I have to work both sides at the same time, and since I have to work with 2 balls of yarn will both yarns come out on the same side...will one come out on the RS of the work and the other on the WS of the work???
If you work both sides at the same time, both sides should always be on the same side. So when you knit the left side of the V neck, make sure you knit the right side before continuing with anything concerning the left side again. Hmm... does that make sense?

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
taranw
Casting On

ekgheiy,
thanks for the reply, the pattern insturctions for the V nech shaping are below. I am still confused by the whole V neck, but hopefully I will figure it out soon

The actual pattern reads:

Row 1 (decrease row): K25{28-31}, K2 tog TURN; add on 3 sts LOOSELY TURN; with second yarn, K3, SSK, knit across: 29{32-35} sts EACH side.

Row 2: Purl across tow within 3 sts of neck edge, K3; with second yarn, K3, purl across.

Row 3 (decrease row): Knit across to within 5 sts of neck edge, K2 tog, K3; with second yarn, K3, SSK, knit across: 28{31-34} sts EACH side.

Row 4 thru 15{15-17}: repeat rows 2 and 3, 6{6-7} times: 22{25-27} sts EACH side.

Work even until front measures same as back to shoulder shaping, ending by working a purl side row.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
I think I get it ... my type in red below ...

ekgheiy,
thanks for the reply, the pattern insturctions for the V nech shaping are below. I am still confused by the whole V neck, but hopefully I will figure it out soon

The actual pattern reads:

Row 1 (decrease row): K25{28-31}, K2 tog TURN; add on 3 sts LOOSELY TURN; with second yarn, K3, SSK, knit across: 29{32-35} sts EACH side.

I'm just going to refer to the small size. And I'm also assuming you have more than 25(28-31) total sts. Something like 50(56-62) sts maybe?? So Knit the first 25 (we'll call this "Batch1") and leave the remaing 25 (we'll call this "Batch2") alone. I think the adding the 3 sts is like casting on stitches (this is one side of the V neck). When it says loosely, I interpret that as the backword loop CO method. Now once you CO loosely, drop the piece of yarn and pick up a new piece of yarn from a separate skein and k3, ssk, knit across the "Batch2" sts; this will be the other side of the V neck.

Row 2: Purl across tow within 3 sts of neck edge, K3; with second yarn, K3, purl across.

You're gonna purl across "Batch2" to within 3 sts of neck, K3. Now drop the working yarn from "Batch2" and pick up the working yarn for "Batch1" sts. Now K3 stitch from "Batch1" then purl the rest of "Batch1"

Row 3 (decrease row): Knit across to within 5 sts of neck edge, K2 tog, K3; with second yarn, K3, SSK, knit across: 28{31-34} sts EACH side.

In Row 3, you'll start by working with "Batch1" sts. Then at "with second yarn" you'll pick up the "Batch2" working yarn and cont w/ the pattern

Row 4 thru 15{15-17}: repeat rows 2 and 3, 6{6-7} times: 22{25-27} sts EACH side.

Work even until front measures same as back to shoulder shaping, ending by working a purl side row.

When patterns say "Work even" that means to work in the established pattern (stockinette for example) with no decreases or increases. So you "work even" until the front of the vest is the same length as the back, making sure to match the armhole shaping.

I hope that made sense ...

Old 02-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
taranw
Casting On

THANK YOU!!!
ekgheiy,

Thank you SO much for the time and effort you put into the post, I really appreciate it! :D Your explainations are great, and very helpful. Thanks again!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Re: THANK YOU!!!
ekgheiy,

Thank you SO much for the time and effort you put into the post, I really appreciate it! :D Your explainations are great, and very helpful. Thanks again!!!!
You are totally welcome! I'm so glad it helped out.
You caught me at just the right time with your question because I just finished the V-neck portion of the sweater that I'm currently making. :D