Old 02-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Yvonne~

I knit continental, which I like better probably because I'm left-handed. I don't use my middle finger to manipulate the thread while purling. It was too hard to hold the needle and I found that my thumb would try to compensate for everything. I use index finger only. It works best when you can keep the tension of the yarn in your hand even. Hope this helps.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #12
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

That sounds good. I guess it doesn't really matter which finger is used to manipulate that working yarn just so long as it gets where it's supposed to go. And I know what you mean about your thumb trying to compensate--last night while I was trying to learn this, my left thumb was waving around doing all sorts of things as if independent from my body! :D
Also, the tension--you are so right. There were times when my left hand was way too far away from the left needle, trying to keep that working yarn taut. I had to keep it creeping up closer and readjust the tension every few stitches. Hopefully, it's just a matter of getting used to it.
I remember watching my mother knit when I was little. She taught me to knit. She herself holds the working yarn around her right index finger and doesn't move much at all when she YO. I don't know how in the heck I turned out to be a thrower.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #13
eggplant
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Yvonne,

I do what beldaraan does -- index finger only. Don't worry, eventually your hands will settle into a position that works consistently, and when that happens they will *relax*. They just have to learn the new sequence of moves. and become more comfortable and trusting through repetition.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #14
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by beldaraan
Yvonne~

I knit continental, which I like better probably because I'm left-handed. I don't use my middle finger to manipulate the thread while purling. It was too hard to hold the needle and I found that my thumb would try to compensate for everything. I use index finger only. It works best when you can keep the tension of the yarn in your hand even. Hope this helps.
I use my index too ... except ... I use my right index I can do continental, but I'm an English knitter at heart. Power to proud "Throwers"!!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:26 AM   #15
Mer
Working the Gusset

I'm still practicing my continental purling, and I found that if I don't bring the working yarn over the right needle first before bringing it under, it still looks ok. So what I've been doing is just bringing the yarn to the front, placing the right needle over it after I go down into the stitch, and then pulling it through. That way I don't have to move the yarn to a different finger. Amy's video shows the yarn coming over the top of the needle and then under, and I was wondering if I needed to do that for any reason, or if just going under was ok.

Does anyone else do it this way? Will it turn out the same? Hope I explained it well enough. :?
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #16
Mer
Working the Gusset

Answering my own question--I think what I'm doing is combined purling, which sounds too confusing to work with to me. :( Darn!
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #17
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Yeah, Mer, I was thinking that sounded like Combined purling. You can see why some people love it, though, the needle just wants to grab the yarn from that side!

Yvonne and Beldaraan, I use my left index finger too, sometimes, to push down the working yarn. I tend to go back and forth between my middle and index fingers, and often use both fingers together! It's not something I think about, it's just automatic. I think I do it differently depending on how much slack is in the yarn, in order to maintain tension. If I use my middle finger, it makes for a tighter stitch than if I were to use my index finger with the same yarn slack. But I actually purl tighter than I knit. I wonder if using the index finger in general might make me purl a little looser? It would be handy to purl at the same tension, because then I could use the same needle size whether knitting in the round or flat! Currently I have to go down a size if I knit in the round!

I think it's more common to use the index finger.
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote