Old 02-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #1
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

What made you start knitting?
For me, I am just crafty by nature and one day I decided I wanted to... so I went and picked up needles :D

What about you? Is it a family tradition? Did a friend teach you? Do share!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-05-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Excellent question that I was thinking of posting myself actually

I'm somewhat crafty and have been since I was a kid. I've always wanted to knit, but thought it would be someday later. Well that someday turned out to be the beginning of January of this year. So, first off, it was always there in me, just waiting for the right time I guess.

My mom started knitting in October last year, on her birthday, and it is a wonderful hobby that has really transformed her. We're long distance, so I would call her every weekend, and she always talked about knitting. Thing was, that she would tell me about a knitting technique and I wouldn't get it, but I would feign comprehension.

Really, I do it because I've always wanted to, but I do it for my mom as well. It's something we have in common and I LOVE it so much.

I also have a good friend who has been knitting for 10 years and that brought on the urge as well. Coincidentally, I was just at her place tonight and the theme was KNITTING STUFF. I saw her stash (OMG - MEGA bins) of yarn, needles, books and finished projects. We talked about knitting LYS's and anything related to knitting. It was a wonderful experience. I was all over her like a preggy woman indulging on a craving.

I guess it was a combination of things that finally led me to the yarn aisle at Walmart. Timing, a desire to enrich myself with a new hobby, my mom, my friend, and my husband's support.

I can't wait to hear about other knitters' beginnings. Bring em on!!
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:07 AM   #3
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot
I remember when I was little my grandma giving me a pair of needles and trying to teach me to knit. Impossible! I was always totally uncoordinated! When I was an adult I met a girl from Sweden that knitted continental. For some reason it was easier. I never really got into it though, until this year. I have crocheted for years (not very well, mostly granny squares), but it has started hurting my hands. Since I cannot sit still and watch TV without something for my hands to do I decided to try knitting again. I knit better after a year than I ever crocheted, and I love it! (I still use those needles.)
Old 02-06-2005, 01:16 AM   #4
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
There wasn't any family influence on my decision to start knitting. I needed some kind of hobby when I quit smoking. Something that could be cheap to start out with too. I LOVE scrapbooking, and my aunt teaches classes for it in MI, but the hobby is just too expensive for me right now. Plus, with knitting....it keeps both my hands busy, and my mind off smoking! I've been smoke free for 18 days now!!!!!!!

Recently, I did find out that my grandma crochets and I have an aunt who knits. That's kinda cool to know now. Too bad I don't live near any of them ...LOL.
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
Anne
Knitting the Flap

A new neighbor ask me where a LYS was in the area. After i told her i thought hummm wonder if i could knit.

I have been knitting since last Dec. Still making scarfs learning as i go along. K & P plus working on my tension.

One thing i like about knitting scarfs i can use a variation of yarns and ribbons together with the K or P stitch. Each scarf looks different when finished. Some i love others i have taken apart not liking the color or colors.

My Grandmother made quilts which i was not interested in making. My Mother did not sew period let alone knit.

For several years i Counted Cross-Stitched, however, the framing became to expensive.

I do enjoy reading about everyone's project. I envy those that knit sweaters.

Perhaps i can accomplish one before my eye sight goes.

Learning to knit at a young age is a very good idea... Happy knitting to all
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
Egeria
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Egeria Send a message via Yahoo to Egeria
I started knitting in college in 1997. It was the 'in thing' to do in the girls dorm. We'd all sit around and knit while watching t.v in one of the girl's room. I can't even remember who showed me how to knit, but I did knit a raglan sweater and loads of socks, scarfs, hats and mittens. When I left college the last thing I knit was a sweater for my dad. I won't go into it here but it was a disaster and I gave up knitting!

Until last year, when I was feeling crafty and I went to the LYS looking for a cross stitch kit. There I fell in love with a knitted cardigan on display (as a sampler) and a coupla weeks later went in and bought all the gear I needed to make it.

Amazing how my hands rememberd to cast on and knit, purl etc! I decided I was going to be better than I had been so I bought some books, and stumbled on this website and now voila! A happy knitter!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot
Jivewhistle, congradulations on the 18 smoke free days.
Anne, I had the same problem with cross stitch. I finally just started buying cheap frames from walmart and taking the glass out. Then I taped them to the cardboard that came with the frames. They look great.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #8
Phretys
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Phretys
My mom has always been crafty, and I inherited this tendency from her, and it seems my daughter has the crafty bug as well.

My knitting adventure began this past November 2004. I was in a needlework shop buying cross stitch supplies and as I was being rung up at the register my 9-year-old daughter slapped a skein of DK Domino Snuggly onto the counter. Her intention was to use it with her little spinner thingy, but I felt the yarn was too nice for that, bit the bullet and bought some needles later that same evening at my local Michaels.
Phretys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
jwardell
Casting On

My sister started knitting with a friend in NJ a few years ago (I am in OH). I always thought I'd try it eventually, but I wanted to give her some time as the "knitter" of the family. I am generally the hobbyinst of the family and have more time. (She has a career and I have Kids!!!) Last Oct. on a trip to NY, she taught me how to cast on, and the rest I have mostly learned from books and Amy's CD.

It has been sooo much fun! I have been mostly felting. I tell my hubby that I am on the "Low carb, Knitting diet". Knitting keeps me out of the kitchen!!!!!! I am starting a knitting group at my local library on Feb. 15 (anyone in NE Ohio?).

Jw
jwardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:47 PM   #10
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
I have always been a quilter....but I needed something more portable for all the kids swim meets and stuff, and all those lovely yarns were really speaking to me, so I taught myself the basics. Amy's videos were a huge part of my success. Then, I have a family member who is very ill, and it has really been a therapy thing for me, a way of whiling away the hours sitting with him. I am definitely hooked!
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote