Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
I think I need to go on a yarn fast...
I seriously have WAY too much yarn. I don't even know what to do with it all. :( I sorted it out today, and I have 2 big rubbermaid bins full. Maybe I could do some charity knitting, but I am barely getting the knitting I am doing now done. oy. And the worst thing is that I look at all that yarn, and I know I bought it with money from my plasma. (I go give plasma twice a week to fund my habit and going to the movies. Hey..we are a college family.) How did I buy all this yarn with no clear purpose for it? (or change my mind from my original purpose so easily!? )

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-24-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
feministmama
Instepping Out

I see your two bins and I raise you a couple of baskets.

Seriously there must be some kind of yarn disease and I got it too. I bought 4 sweaters at Goodwill to unravel. I haven't gone through my two big plastic bins and baskets (and what all esle is in my closet) yet. What was I thinking? See it has to be a disease. We just can't control ourselves
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:15 AM   #3
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
The only thing that kept me from stopping at my LYS this afternoon was my DD in the backseat, who did not endear herself to me the last time we were there. There's always something more I want to make. Always a new idea. When I end up with odds that I can't use, I give them to my sister who is an art teacher, or you could try a local nursing home, or adult care facility or I have also taken things to a friend who is a nun and she takes them to the infirmary at her motherhouse. I've been sewing for years, you should see the piles and dressers and boxes I have with that stuff. "The one with the biggest yarn stash when she dies, wins!"
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:22 AM   #4
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Originally Posted by Sara
When I end up with odds that I can't use, I give them to my sister who is an art teacher, or you could try a local nursing home, or adult care facility
That is a VERY kind thought, Sara, but let me tell you a secret...I work at a retirement community with all levels of care.....we could FILL the place with all the yarn folks want to give us....Yarn and jigsaw puzzles and Readers Digest Condensed Books.

My advice...call FIRST and talk to the Activities Director. Ask her if they can use it and/or have room to store it until they do. Ask her to be honest, because there are so many times that we take EVERYTHING that is given to us because we dont want to hurt any feelings, and it ends up in "circular file 13" if you know what I mean. And, I know people dont want that to happen with their donations. We dont want to do it, either.....its a tough situation.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:31 AM   #5
christine
Ribbing the Cuff

Looking to Give Away Yarn? Ask your local school
Prehaps they have a knitting club.

We just started a knitting club and have over 25 kids knitting. We even have 7 or so boys. The boys tend to grab the rocking chairs in the room first. Go figure. And they are catching on faster than the girs. The kids that go to that school generally are on the free or reduced lunch program. It is a very poor school.

The school after school program did give us a small bugdet, but outfiting our knitters with starter needles. (Yes we thought of making them first, but time time time) the small bugdet is nearly gone. I rounded up all the yarn donation I could find and just went to the big box store to purchase oun poounders of cheap yarn for the kids to split up.

Or do just like I do with my sewing yardage -- just keep it hidden and hope the husband doesn't find it.

Christine
christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

OMGGGGGGG cool idea

I was part of a beaders circle a little while back, and we had a stash share box; someone started a box, and we'd put in it all of our "leftover" beads, and mail it to the next person... then she would take what she wanted, and add in whatever she had left over and send it on.
Maybe this is something we could do here? the only downfall I see is that while beads aresmall and light, a box on leftover yarn balls has the potential for getting expensive to mail.... hmm, never mind. good idea in theory, i suppose
Old 03-29-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
wildforyarn
Turning the Heel

I don't know if any of you have this problem, but I am a new knitter and obsessed with cool yarn. My problem is I see some I like, but don't have a lot of money everytime I see something, so I buy two or three skeins/balls of it and then I never have enough to make something with it when I find a pattern I like and have the yarn in mind. Oi! I am going to really have to change my purchasing habbits or else make a lot of scarfs and hats because I think that is all it would make. Yikes!

wildforyarn on Ravelry

wildforyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by wildforyarn
...obsessed with cool yarn. My problem is I see some I like, but don't have a lot of money everytime I see something, so I buy two or three skeins/balls of it and then I never have enough to make something with it when I find a pattern I like and have the yarn in mind.
yup. i do this *all* the time. stupid pretty yarn at the stupid LYS my stupid brain can't resist!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:27 AM   #9
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

I have tried to come to a place of acceptance of my yarn obsession. I don't really have space for it, and have had to re-arrange my studio apartment to house it, but I could never give it up. It makes me happy, like Scrouge counting money, to look upon it.

I am guilty of buying 2-3 skiens of something I like just to have it, even though it will never be enough to make something. And I'll keep doing it.

BWA HA HA!

*ahem*

It's actually made me starting thinking of the yarn I have when I see patterns. If I see something small to make, I try to turn to what I've got instead of what I could have. It's been a good practice... and has really forced me to think of yarn substitution, and forcing the math that sometimes takes.

Hi, my name is yellowness, and I'm a yarnaholic.
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Originally Posted by yellowness
Hi, my name is yellowness, and I'm a yarnaholic.
*Kelly lights up a cigarette, takes a bite of a donut & a slurp of coffee*
HIIIIIIIIIIIIII YELLOWNESSSSSSSSSSS!

Yellow, you CRACK me up! :rofling:
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote