Old 02-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
Georgiann
Casting On

curling stockinette scarf even with borders
Help - my scarf is all curling in on itself! I knitted 7 rows of garter for the bottom followed by the stockinette stitch which is bordered on both sides by three knit stitches. I am so close to finishing the scarf that I can't imagine not finishing. Can I border it with another say - 5 to 10 stitches on both sides to prevent the curling. Maybe create a basket weave pattern on the sides or even crochet a border - would need help with that one though. Maybe sew this border on? The woman at the yarn store said that it is curling in at the middle and blocking may help - but not much. She said that a border will not help either. I am not going to give up though! Thanks for any ideas! BTW - the yarn is a pretty purple tweed made of 50% merino wool, 25% alpaca, and 25% Viscose/Rayon knit on 4 mm needles.

Thanks,
Georgiann
Georgiann is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
SoapDoc
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi,

Sorry, I can't help. Just wanted you to know that I am having the exact same problem :( I was told that doing a garter stitch border (4 knit stitches on each end even the purl sides) would help, but I can't rip ALL of this out!!

I think what I am going to do is make the scarf in two pieces and seam it in the back. I was told this might help some of the curling, and on the ends, I am alternating garter and stockinette stitches to try to combat it too. Bummer! I love all those little V's Wish I knew I it wasn't going to work before I got so far along.

Sigh. Back to the drawing board! I think next project will be socks. Why not aim BIG!

Good luck, hope you can fix yours!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I am not sure about this, but is it possible to pick up stitches along the edges and knit a 3 or 4 row garter border after you are finished with the scarf? You'd have to knit all around the perimeter of the scarf... that would be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long. But it's the only suggestion I can think of!
:idea: Maybe you can just knit a super duper long curly stockingette tube, and then stitch the long edges together.... then you will have started a new fasion trend, the tube scarf, and everyone will be envious!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
becky
Casting On

I don't know what to do with the part you've already started, but to prevent curling there are 2 solutions I know of.

One is to slip the last stitch of every row as if to knit.

The other is to knit the first & last 2 stitches of every row, which will give your work a border, but I think it looks nice. Good luck!
becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

If you're close to done, I would finish it in the same pattern you're using then block it. A little misting/water and being laid flat could actually do the trick. If that doesn't work, then you can look into ways to edge it after the fact to see if they will take care of your curling. At least this will alow you to try some things without ripping everything... then, worst case senario you rip after everything else has failed.

I've had some shocking good luck with blocking though... surprised the heck out of me how much soaking (I saturated my piece) and laying flat did.
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:43 AM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Georgiann, here's an earlier thread on this topic, with several good suggestions.

Good luck,
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:37 PM   #7
Georgiann
Casting On

Thank you so much everyone! I am going to try the wet blocking to see if that helps. It does not rain that much in NM, so I may be safe...If not, I guess that I will have a rather unique newbie knitter scarf! Even after my fiance saw the curling scarf, he wants me to knit him a hat and matching scarf. I will start that tomorrow. All I told him was that he had fair warning....haha...

Thanks again,
Georgiann
Georgiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #8
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I've never had any luck blocking the curl out of stockinette, but I'm the world's laziest blocker and no expert at it by any means. I'd be quite surprised if that did the trick, but it's certainly worth a try, eh? Let us know if it works!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 02-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #9
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Awww, you're fiance is so sweet. What a wonderful guy to want something like that. Doesn't it make you feel so special inside? Good luck with the blocking. Although, personally, I think it will have more meaning to you to keep it just the way it is. Especially when your fiance has a matching one that is curling just the same.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #10
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Georgiann, did you read the ideas on that other thread yet? Like backing it with fleece? I thought that was a great idea. I've seen scarves like this, and they can look great.

I agree with your yarn store owner, that adding a border won't do it (unless you're talking about a three inch wide border or more!). It depends on the yarn and gauge, but in my experience, it really would take a BIG border to keep it from curling, because it tends to just curl and take a border in with it, unless the weight of the border is enough to keep it in place. I also agree with her that blocking won't do it.

You can try backing it with fleece, or turning it into another object that is seamed up the sides, like a bag. I think there were a few more suggestions on that thread, worth checking out.

Let us know what you end up doing!
Amy

Martha Graham