Old 02-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

What I'm going to recommend won't help uncurl an already-curled scarf. HOWEVER.....
I was telling someone in the chat room last night about tubular knitting. It's similar to Amy's double knitting video, but you only use one strand of yarn. Here's how it works, in case you don't know:

You cast on an even number of stitches, about twice as many as you think you need for the width.
Row 1: *K1, sl 1 wyib as if to purl* to the end
Row 2: K the sl stitches, sl the K stitches.

Repeat row 2 till it's done, whatever length you want. This will be closed on the bottom and sides, but is a double-sided fabric that is thick and cushy, is showing stockinette on both sides, and will not curl.

If this is a scarf, you end up with a double-thickness, non-curling thing without any of that darned sewing. It's wonderful!
I am imagining making bags, hats, scarves, etc. with this technique. It's thick and squishy like double knitting, but without the hassle of the two balls of yarn.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #12
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

OOPS!!
In my post above, that's a major typo. It should be WYIF, not wyib. Duh.
Sorry bout that.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:04 AM   #13
Georgiann
Casting On

Thanks so much everyone for your input. Sorry that it has taken me a while to write back, but work has been a bit hectic. I am getting many requests for knitting scarves now from my students - go figure. It does get cold in the adult jail that I teach in though. I have been wearing my curling scarf quite proudly - and one student in particular will take it off of me and wear it during class and parade himself down the hallway wearing it and showing it to the other inmates. I just have to make sure that I get it back LOL. He also loves the way that it smells. I told him that I wanted him to smell it when I was blocking it - very wet sheep. I am now knitting a felted bag for my co teacher. I am also working on a baby hat for an inmate's baby daughter with cancer. Nick, my super fiance, is getting a scarf and hat - maybe he can use it next year as it is getting warmer here in NM. I am now a knitting addict - may help me to stop snacking to lose some weight for the wedding in July. It also keeps me occupied in a class that the school district makes us take on Saturdays - I am a naughty knitter--heeeheee

Thanks again!
Georgiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
knitfun
Ribbing the Cuff

I have a suggestion, as my 2nd scarf almost two years ago did the same thing. I was making it for my DH and it was almost a disaster.

If you know how to crochet, I finished the scarf as per the pattern, then I crocheted a reverse shrimp stitch all around the outside. It really turned out fabulous. I was totally in amazement and it really went quickly too!

My DH was amazed how I pulled that out of disaster!

It lends a unique look that is both attractive and functional (aka, keeps it from rolling onto itself!)

Good luck.

Let us know what you end up doing!
knitfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:03 PM   #15
Phretys
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Phretys
Another idea, if you decide to try this with a new scarf, and you love seeing all the little Vs like with stockinette stitch, is to make the entire scarf with a K1P1 rib. It makes a nicely warm scarf, and you get Vs on both sides with all the purls hidden (unless the rib is stretched out). You would need to cast on more stitches to get the same scarf width as with a scarf all in stockinette, though.
Phretys is offline   Reply With Quote