Old 02-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
Flappy
Ribbing the Cuff

Holes so large I can drive a truck through.
Beginning knitter here, first time poster.

I'm working on my second project... a scarf longer than the scarf I made in my first project. Apparently, there are a lot of scarves in my future, despite the fact that I haven't worn one since elementary school.

This scarf is so large (14 inches wide) that I'm more comfortable calling it The Blanket. The good part about committing to so many stitches is that I'm now very competent at the garter stitch. For the most part, my stitches are even and tight.

Back when I started on The Blanket, I wasn't so competent. In fact, there are some embarassingly large and loose stitches right above my cast-on row. Other than these, The Blanket looks great. So my question...

How can I fix these loose stitches at the beginning? Is it possible to "untie" the cast-on row and unravel a few rows of the scarf from the beginning? If so, can I then re-insert my needle into a row of loops, knit a few rows, and then cast-off?

The Blanket and I thank you in advance.
Flappy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: Holes so large I can drive a truck through.
Originally Posted by Flappy
Beginning knitter here, first time poster.

I'm working on my second project... a scarf longer than the scarf I made in my first project. Apparently, there are a lot of scarves in my future, despite the fact that I haven't worn one since elementary school.

This scarf is so large (14 inches wide) that I'm more comfortable calling it The Blanket. The good part about committing to so many stitches is that I'm now very competent at the garter stitch. For the most part, my stitches are even and tight.

Back when I started on The Blanket, I wasn't so competent. In fact, there are some embarassingly large and loose stitches right above my cast-on row. Other than these, The Blanket looks great. So my question...

How can I fix these loose stitches at the beginning? Is it possible to "untie" the cast-on row and unravel a few rows of the scarf from the beginning? If so, can I then re-insert my needle into a row of loops, knit a few rows, and then cast-off?

The Blanket and I thank you in advance
I could be wrong , but I think "The Knit Stitch" has an explanation of how to fix this. The ISBN is 1893762130.

I would just explain it to you here, but I can't remember it. But I know a method for fixing it exists. Since I've stopped using the Backward Loop CO method, I don't have a problem with a loose co row.

Happy Knitting!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

You can't "unravel" from the bottom up, but you can solve the problem. You cut a strand one or two rows above the cast-on, and pull it out of the adjacent stitches, so you've exposed a whole row of stitches along the bottom edge of the scarf. Put these exposed stitches on the needle (see Basic Techniques/ More page, for how to re-insert a needle into exposed stitches). Because you're now working from the top down, your stitches will all be shifted by a half a stitch. I'm not sure if you'd notice this shift or not, if you continue to work in garter stitch. The safest bet is to just immediately bind-off, and not work any extra rows. You'll need to join in new yarn to work this bind-off. You can unravel the yarn from the cast-on that you've cut off, and use that to bind-off with.

Let us know how it goes!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Okay, my curiosity got the best of me: I just did a test swatch. You totally can't tell, in garter stitch, that you're knitting from the bottom down. Knit as many rows as you like from here! The join is invisible!

....The only thing is, you probably have to purl every row, rather than knit every row. If you have any doubt, watch the videos on doing ribbing or seed stitch (Basic Techniques/ More page), so you can recognize whether the last row you did appears like a knit row, or a purl row, on the row you're about to work. If it appears like a row of knit stitches facing you (all the stitches have "scarves" instead of "nooses"), then you need to purl the row, and subsequent rows, to remain in garter stitch. (If they all have nooses, then knit the row.)

Oh and I almost forgot.... Welcome to the forum, Flappy!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
Flappy
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow! You knit a swatch and tested it out? What service! Thank you. Where do I send the check? :D

I'll let you know how The Blanket turns out.
=====

LATER UPDATE:
For the second knitting project of my life, The Blanket turned out great. It was a little unnerving to cut the yarn and untangle and separate the "good" part from the "bad" part. But, mission accomplished. I'm sure I made some mistakes in finding the right 28 loops and inserting the needles, but the yarn is crazy enough to hide many mistakes. Thanks for the help (and the outstanding videos) Amy.

If I look closely enough, The Blanket does document my improvement as a knitter. I can look at my early rows and see some looseness and inconsistency, but about halfway through, I start knitting like a crazed professional: perfectly straight edges, nice even tight stitches. The rows are sort of like the rings on a tree-- they're a permanent record of the changing state of my abilities etched in, umm, yarn.

Well, not exactly like the rings on a tree, I guess. That metaphor needs some work.
Flappy is offline   Reply With Quote