Old 02-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
Nannie Sue
Casting On

first time knitting
Hi,
I am a brand new knitter, did this a little as a child but forgot everything. So I cast on the stitches and just doing a practice 15 cast on and the knit and purl stitch seems to go fine. Then I start an afghan project 252 stitches cast on, 35 inch circular needles. After initial cast on and during the first knit stitch I develope a line of yarn between the needles that gets longer with each stitch, this happened with the test but only 15 stitches so it wasn't an issue didn't get longer than one inch but seems to be a problem with last stitch hanging. With the afghan so many stitches the line of yarn between the needles continues to get longer. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, the knit stitch or the cast on. Help!
Nannie Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

What kind of cast on did you use? If you just did the kind of cast on with just making yarn loops on the needle, the first row is almost impossible to keep tight and neat. If this is the case, try casting on with a different method and see if that helps the situation.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
Nannie Sue
Casting On

I did just use the loop on my finger and onto needle, as the line gets longer I do have to pull it to tighten the knit stitch on the other needle I will have to look at other methods of casting on as this is the only one I know its tuff being new
Old 02-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like your cast-on is narrower than you knitting? This is quite normal. When you cast-on stitches for a project, it needs to be the number of stitches that is calculated based on the gauge you get from knitting a swatch. You can't estimate the width of the project based on how wide your cast-on appears. It always grows!

Hope that helps,
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
Nannie Sue
Casting On

No, its tuff to explain and I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong so probably doesn't happen to you. After initial cast on I proceed to knit stitch and in between the two needles developes a line of yarn that grows longer with every stitch. It also has tension that seems to be related to newer knit stitch. So for my test its fine, doesn't get to much longer than an inch but for the afghan 252 stitches it was wicked long and I had to stop. try to picture the two needles should be close instead I have a long line of yarn in between. I have a digital camera if I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong I will take a picture and post it. Although that will only make it more clear how inept I am at this.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
LOL Nannie, I'm embarrased to post pictures too. But last time I wouldn't have figured out what I was doing wrong without posting the pic and receiving everyones comments. Finally, I was able to get it right, so it all worked out :D

Good luck on the afghan!!
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
Nannie Sue
Casting On

thanks, I sit here in work all caught up and just want to go home and figure this out. But they don't pay me to knit
Old 02-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

I think what she is doing is using the Loop cast-on. This happened to me when I first started knitting, too. You insert the needle to do row 1, and somehow you sort of pull the needles apart, knit the stitch and wind up with this cord-like piece of yarn between the two needles. It's cured by just not using that cast-on method, or if a person can make sure to be super-careful to not pull the needles away from each other during row 1.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

What I mean is casting on using the method in Amy's video called Single cast on a.k.a. backward loop cast on. As Amy says, it's easy but tricky to knit evenly.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Ahhh yes, I think Yvonne has hit the nail on the head. It's just in the cast-on row that this is happening? Then yes, this is it!

Try using the long-tail cast-on. It actually gives you an already-knitted row, so it saves you a lot of knitting time on a project like that! And it's a great general cast-on method.

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote