Old 02-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
ppreston
Casting On

HELP - yfd (twice)
I have a pattern that calls for yfwd (twice). I have tried but every time I do it I lose 15 stitches! Do patterns account for this? After the first time the count stays the same. The patterns if BERNAT for the Ladder Lace Poncho. HELP!!!!
ppreston is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: HELP - yfd (twice)
Originally Posted by ppreston
I have a pattern that calls for yfwd (twice). I have tried but every time I do it I lose 15 stitches! Do patterns account for this? After the first time the count stays the same. The patterns if BERNAT for the Ladder Lace Poncho. HELP!!!!
yfwd twice?? :?: Hmmm ... coming from a knit st, that just sounds like a YO. Coming from a purl sts, it sounds like a double YO. :?

Let me try to find the pattern to take a peek ... is it a free pattern at www.bernat.com? Be right back ...

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
ppreston
Casting On

The pattern is on the site but it's not a free one. Here's the instructions - it's only 2 rows of pattern. Here I thought I would whip this up in no time!! There is a NOTE that says: (yfwd) twice counts as 2 sts.

1st row: (RS), Sl1K. *K2tog. (yfwd) twice. Sl1. K1. psso. Rep from * to last st. K1.

2nd row: Sl1K. *K2. P1. K1. Prep from * to last st. K1.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
The pattern is on the site but it's not a free one. Here's the instructions - it's only 2 rows of pattern. Here I thought I would whip this up in no time!! There is a NOTE that says: (yfwd) twice counts as 2 sts.

1st row: (RS), Sl1K. *K2tog. (yfwd) twice. Sl1. K1. psso. Rep from * to last st. K1.

2nd row: Sl1K. *K2. P1. K1. Prep from * to last st. K1.
Yep ... It just sounds like a YO to me. When you K2tog, you must compensate for the lost st. In most of the patterns that I've read, the comp is via a "YO".

Now I see you have a decrease at the psso too. So maybe what they really mean is to "YO twice", which would compensate for the two decreased sts.

"yfwd twice" ... what a strange way to say "YO". :?

Someone else jump in here if I'm wrong...

Old 02-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
ppreston
Casting On

I've done the yo twice - still leaves me 15 stitches short at the end. AHHHH!!!!! Thanks.....
Old 02-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

I've done the yo twice - still leaves me 15 stitches short at the end. AHHHH!!!!! Thanks.....
I'm just brainstorming here, and I'm thinking that maybe the YOx2 won't allow for you to actually work them on the next row. :? Hmmm?? How many stitches are casted on? I can try a swatch at home tonight if you want.... :D

Old 02-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
ppreston
Casting On

62 stitches - I always end up with 47.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #8
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

I just tried a little swatch of your pattern and was able to keep the number of stitches constant. I did notice that things get a little dicey on row 2 when you work those two YO's. Things get mighty loose and I bet it would be easy to accidently drop one of those, especially the second one. You might be losing stitches that way.
But it ends up looking like alternating vertical stripes of solid knitting and holes. Kinda pretty.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Yvonne
I just tried a little swatch of your pattern and was able to keep the number of stitches constant. I did notice that things get a little dicey on row 2 when you work those two YO's. Things get mighty loose and I bet it would be easy to accidently drop one of those, especially the second one. You might be losing stitches that way.
This is exactly what I suspected and why wanted to try it out when I get home. I'm still going to try it to see what it looks like. The picture on Bernat isn't a a very good picture; I totally can't see the poncho. :(

Old 02-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #10
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Yvonne
But it ends up looking like alternating vertical stripes of solid knitting and holes. Kinda pretty.
Hmm...How on earth did you work the YO?? I couldn't work them at all.