Old 02-16-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
kimmie
Turning the Heel

blanket question
I'm sure the answer is obvious to everyone but me, but here goes...

In the past when I've knit baby blankets, the instructions have me knit the body of the blanket & then go back and pick up stitches (at the beginning) and do a moss stitch edge or something like that. What I don't understand is, why can't I just do the several rows of moss stitch when I start the blanket, rather than going back and doing it later? Was that clear as mud to everyone? Hopefully someone can decifer what I mean.
kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-16-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: blanket question
Originally Posted by kimmie
I'm sure the answer is obvious to everyone but me, but here goes...

In the past when I've knit baby blankets, the instructions have me knit the body of the blanket & then go back and pick up stitches (at the beginning) and do a moss stitch edge or something like that. What I don't understand is, why can't I just do the several rows of moss stitch when I start the blanket, rather than going back and doing it later? Was that clear as mud to everyone? Hopefully someone can decifer what I mean.
kimmie
I don't think it matters for the top and bottom of the blanket. But for the sides, the pattern will be in different directions if you knit the border with the blanket versus picking up stitches along the side. Take stockinette st for example - if a blanket has a stockinette sts boarder, the "V's" will run vertically if it's knit with the rest of the blanket; if the stitches are picked up along the sides, the "V's" will run horizontally. That's the only reason I can figure why it's done separately. :?

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
nancyg
Casting On

blanket without picking up stitches....
I have made the "Big Bad Baby Blanket" from the original Stich&Bitch and it has a seed stitch "border" on the edges. I think that pattern could be useful to knit the blanket in one piece and not have to pick up stitches afterwards. The blanket was a big hit with my sister-in-law and my niece. It looks complicated but after you read the pattern a few times it makes sense!!
nancyg is offline   Reply With Quote