Old 03-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #31
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by javede
Wow! It looks greate! I like your color choice much better than that on the website.
Now I really decided to do this one myself. Did you change the neck part?
Thank you Javede!!!

I didn't change the neck (other than the color). I do wish that I had short enough circular needles to do it in the round though; I think it would have been easier in the round ...

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #32
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ekgheiy
...people have told me that it's too dark for a baby blanket though ... Why do baby blanket have to be pastelly light. What do you think??
I say hogwash to babies being only limited to pastels. Why are all of their toys bold and bright? I believe I remember reading that black and white are the optimal colours to present to newborns (for toys anyway) because their vision isn't matured yet.

When hubby and I discovered how much our son LOVES fleece, we couldn't find any blankets that we liked. We ended up going to a fabric store and buying our own fleece material for blankets. It was cheaper too. If you're crafty, then you can sew a nice stitch pattern around the edges, take it to one of those sewing companies that can put on pictures, or do your own embroidery.

In terms of knitting with a dark colour in general, I can only think that darker colours don't always show off the stitch pattern very well. Other advice to offer is assessing what type of parents will be receiving the blanket. I am one to go for darker stuff (and bright). Or, anything not very pastel. Other parents are more for the pastels.

If they're for the dark green, then make it in dark green. And show pics.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #33
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Looks great ekgheiy!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #34
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by beldaraan
Originally Posted by ekgheiy
...people have told me that it's too dark for a baby blanket though ... Why do baby blanket have to be pastelly light. What do you think??
I say hogwash to babies being only limited to pastels. Why are all of their toys bold and bright? I believe I remember reading that black and white are the optimal colours to present to newborns (for toys anyway) because their vision isn't matured yet.

When hubby and I discovered how much our son LOVES fleece, we couldn't find any blankets that we liked. We ended up going to a fabric store and buying our own fleece material for blankets. It was cheaper too. If you're crafty, then you can sew a nice stitch pattern around the edges, take it to one of those sewing companies that can put on pictures, or do your own embroidery.

In terms of knitting with a dark colour in general, I can only think that darker colours don't always show off the stitch pattern very well. Other advice to offer is assessing what type of parents will be receiving the blanket. I am one to go for darker stuff (and bright). Or, anything not very pastel. Other parents are more for the pastels.

If they're for the dark green, then make it in dark green. And show pics.
I'm not making a blanket for anyone in particular. I need to supp the income , but apparently many think I charge too much. (I made a 900 yard blanket that I calculate at 10c p/yard. Yes, I'm asking $90 for it. I put roughly 15 hours of work into it, I think $6 an hour is fair to pay for a handmade blanket! I am seemingly alone in that school of thought.) Anyhoo... my brother suggested that I make a bunch of baby blankets and rent a booth to sell them at local craft fairs; he thinks I'll get a better response that way. There's a center that hosts those types of events frequently down the street from me. I fear the price of booth rentals and I'm sure that one blanket sale won't cut it ... :?

I tried selling to a consignment shop nearby, but I just about slapped that lady across her snub face when she said she "couldn't" buy it for more than $50. Uh-huh, you mean $3.57 per hour? That's when she started quoting store policy blah blah blah ... I quickly left. I also made cards to hand out whenever people ask me questions when I knit in public. No one has called or emailed *sigh*

I'm blabbing now eh? Long story short ... I'm trying to increase inventory to try this booth rental thing.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #35
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by amy
Looks great ekgheiy!

Amy
Why thank you deary!

Old 03-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #36
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I honestly don't know HOW anyone can make any money on selling hand-knit garments in the western world. Yarn is expensive, and people are used to paying third-world labor rates, and factory production rates.

I'm no expert in any way on this subject, because I haven't tried to sell anything since 6th grade (burnt myself out fast, charging pennies per hour for my work). But if I were to attempt it today, I'd go for small items (small means less yarn cost, and faster knitting). I'd probably only knit things that are very unique, or hard to find. Like arm-band holders for cell-phones and i-pods, or clothes edged with unusual novelty yarn (just edged, unless you get a great price on the yarn, and can afford to do a whole piece in it).

Another good thing to sell is pattern designs. You just make them once, and take a pretty picture. Then you can sell the item, and the pattern. And the pattern can be sold over and over, at no extra cost, if you sell it in PDF form! ...You're welcome to sell your own patterns in the Buy/Sell/Swap forum.

Good luck! I hope you can make some money doing this wonderful thing that you love!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #37
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by amy
I honestly don't know HOW anyone can make any money on selling hand-knit garments in the western world. Yarn is expensive, and people are used to paying third-world labor rates, and factory production rates.
So unfortunately true. I used to sell to a lady that worked with me, but she quit (and now runs her own business! :D). Every now and then, I'll see her and she's always been open to buy more, but I see her so infrequently now that she's got her own business.

Patterns eh? Hmm....

Old 03-08-2005, 12:06 AM   #38
ks

want to see the picture
I am thinking of making this pullover for my baby, and would like to see the picture of the one you made... does anyone know why I am not seeing it on my computer?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #39
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Re: want to see the picture
Originally Posted by ks
I am thinking of making this pullover for my baby, and would like to see the picture of the one you made... does anyone know why I am not seeing it on my computer?
Hmm...

Are you sure you're looking at the correct page? A pic is posted on Page 2 of the topic.

Or how about this ... do these links work for you??

Here is the Front
Here is the Back

Hope that helps...

Old 02-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #40
samm
Turning the Heel

I'd love to see yours completed. I'm planning to make this one for one of my grandboysorgirl. Yeah. One girl. We have four sons, five grandsons and Amelie. Makes for a lot of rough and tough sweaters. I love this little pattern. What yarn are you using? :XX: samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote