Old 02-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
maddiebud
Casting On

single crochet on a knitting project
My pattern is calling for a single crochet around the outside of my completed knitting project. I haven't figured out single crochet yet, but I figure I probably can. My problem is, how the heck do you start it on your knitting? My how to book just shows a chain crochet and then single knitting on that so I'm completely stumped as to how to start on a knitting project. do you slip knot on your crochet hook and attach it somehow to the knitting?

Ugh... this is probably a dumb question but I really need some help as it seems that a lot of knitting projects call for a single crochet.

TIA!!
maddiebud is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

Maddiebud,
Think of it in terms of what you already know, which is knitting. Look at the piece of knitting you want to put the crocheted edging on, and think to yourself, "Now where would I stick my knitting needle in here if I was going to pick up stitches?" And then that's where you put the crochet hook. Slip knot on the hook, stick it through the edge of the knit piece, yo the hook, pull it back through, yo, pull through both loops on the hook. Voila!

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
maddiebud
Casting On

thanks Yvonne! You make it sound so simple. I'll try it tonight after the wee one goes to bed and see if i can't get it to work.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

www.Stitchguide.com has videos on how to crochet. I may film my own crochet videos eventually, but until then, their's are great!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
Egeria
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Egeria Send a message via Yahoo to Egeria
Actually Amy it would be a great idea to do some crochet movies! I'd love to learn and it will be useful as some patterns I want to make call for crochet. So a site about knitting and crochet would be great!

So my vote is 'make the videos!'
Old 02-20-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
maddiebud
Casting On

mine too! :D