Old 02-18-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
feministmama
Instepping Out

my 9 year old son said to me one day "mummy you seem so happy when you knit, would you teach me?" He even took a class at our LYS. And he takes an all boy ballet class taught by a man. AND his third grade teacher is a man who is sensative and patient and kind. I feel like the luckiest mum on earth. His dad is very cool with it to the point of reminding him to do his knitting.

I think you should teach your husband to knit too. THen it can become a family project, something you cann all do together in front of the fire with hot chocolate listening to you favorite music or a book on tape. Tell your husband this is a way to bring your family closer. If he wants to believe in the patriacrchal order of things and be disengaged from his son andhis family and instill values of isolation form feelings, individualism, etc then sure go ahead and dissaprove. But if he believes in connection and love and caring then learn to knit.
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by feministmama
... His dad is very cool with it to the point of reminding him to do his knitting. ...
Whoa Way to go Dad!! That is so fabulous!! ......And sexy *giggle* Lucky feministmama!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:18 AM   #13
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Another knitting son ...
Just another mom popping in her w/ a testimony about a son knitting!

My 10yo son started knitting last year, didn't do much with it, but wanted to get back to it recently. So, we went out and got some more yarn -- already had some needles -- and now we're both learning to knit. I'm taking it much more seriously than he is, but he picks it up and keeps trying now and then.

A couple of reasons why I find it advantageous for him:

* He's left-handed, and this seems to help him with his coordination (we're Continental knitters, btw)

* He needs to work on his fine motor skills, and this is definitely good exercise

* We're homeschoolers, and this is something he can do to keep his hands busy and his body in one place while listening to some very interesting history, geography, social studies ... you get the idea. I think that if every boy in kindergarten could learn how to knit, the k'garten teachers would have a much better listeners.

Just my 2 little cents.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:36 AM   #14
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Ummm, tell him Russel Crow knits.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:35 PM   #15
gardenia
1st Leg of the Journey

I was at my mom & dad's house recently, working on my knitting. Much to my surprise, my *very* quiet, conservative 61-year-old dad said, "I'd like to learn knitting." Mom and I both looked at him like :o . I think he was serious. He's almost ready to retire. After reading all of the above, maybe I will actually teach him.

This is a cool thread!

Deb
gardenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:04 PM   #16
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Originally Posted by gardenia
uch to my surprise, my *very* quiet, conservative 61-year-old dad said, "I'd like to learn knitting."
Wow! Go Dad!! Tell him I think he's pretty much the coolest Dad on the planet. 8)

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #17
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot
One website I went to said that historically knitting was a man's project. The women didn't do it.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:25 AM   #18
tigger7713
Casting On

Men Knit in So. America vs. Women
Hi, I think it's great your son is learning how to knit. It is expecially important for kids to develop detailed hand and finger coordination through art or knitting (perfect!). From what I read, in Peru and Bolivia, it is strictly the men that do all of the knitting. Women weave the yarn, and men knit! I will confirm this when I visit this summer, perhaps even get a picture if possible and send it to you for your husband's reassurance.

:D

Anna
tigger7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:01 AM   #19
knittergirl
Casting On

My 26-year-old male cousin (who just got out of the Army) knits unashamedly (is that a word? sorry, it's late...) and I wouldn't call him a "girlie man." In fact, he's quite the ladies' man. :D

Casey
knittergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #20
Susan
Ribbing the Cuff

you might want to mention to your husband that some celebrity knitters include: Russell Crowe, Stu Bloomberg and the great football player Rosie Grier!
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote