Old 02-21-2005, 12:47 AM   #1
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot
Another Lys Adventure
I went into a lys this week to buy my denise needles. (We got our income tax check) It is the only time I have ever looked at the yarn there. I am a sahm who usually has no money for yarn. I usually use stuff I have been given or go to walmart. My daughter started showing me some cool yarn ($4.95 for a very small skein). The lady couldn't understand why I wouldn't snap it up. (I can make dinner for 5 for 2 nights for that). When I told her that I usually used red heart she had a fit. She told me that it was terrible yarn and it would fall apart. I told her that I had to have something that would go thru the dryer since either I or hubby would forget and throw it into the dryer. She said that everything would shrink & look terrible after being in the dryer. Later I thought that I should have told her that I have afghans that I made almost 20 years ago that get washed & dried on a regular basis that still looks new. The sad thing is that that is the only LYS that I can find within 60 miles.

PS. Some of the yarn was $9. I didn't even know that yarn could cost that much. Am I that out of it?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-21-2005, 01:12 AM   #2
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
You are not out of it. I am a sahm and am set for 6mos of yarn thanks to our tax return and JoAnn's/Michaels coupons. I go into my LYS to hang out and knit, and look at the recommended yarns in patterns and see what I can sub for it. Red Heart is not evil. Sometimes I don't go to the LYS for a while cause I see people just buying thousands of $'s of yarn, and I feel a little less than. :?

Put short, I understand. I was excited to be able to buy Lamb's Pride ( the cheapest yarn at my LYS).

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I've made lots of projects out of el-cheapo acrylic. I don't know what she's talking about, about it "falling apart!" That's rediculous! I've had a hard time with very slippery acrylic yarn coming unraveled, but that was with crochet, and I don't know how to secure yarn in crochet work, so I may have just been doing it wrong. Certainly it will never break apart on you. I can't imagine what she was thinking!

It's nice in that it's washable, for sure.

If you're on a budget, you should check out the selection of yarns of all types at Smileys, and at www.knitpicks.com if you haven't already.

Don't let those snobs get you down! I love my natural fibers above all, but acrylic definitely has it's place--bright colors, washable, affordable.... I've knit many a baby item out of it, and wouldn't redo them in wool even now that I can afford to. My sister has two kids, and I've only knit one wool thing for them so far, because I know she likes machine washable stuff. (Hmmm, I wonder if knitpicks has machine washable wool? Their stuff is so affordable, it's worth looking for!) I like the softer acrylics generally, but the cheapest stuff makes for fun, colorful afghans, and probably lots of things I haven't thought of.

Happy knitting!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Can you imagine having the money to spend that much on a hobby. I have been very fortunate with people around me giving me bags of yarn. I only buy it if I am making something specifically asked for, like when my son asked for a gray & red striped hat. (Both colors that I was out of.)
Old 02-21-2005, 01:42 AM   #5
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

I love smiley. I bookmarked it to show my daughter tomorrow. She wants a hat out of fancy yarn like maybe fur. I am sure I can find something affordable. Thank you very much.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 AM   #6
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
Do you know about freecycle.org? I've gotten some good yarn (even some great acrylic :O ) from there, and met some really nice people.

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:47 AM   #7
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

I signed up a while ago, but I have changed my email so I probably need to fix it. I always forget about it. I need to bookmark it so I can find it easily. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:22 AM   #8
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Thanks for the Smiley link! Tho I can see by the large flat fee shipping, it would be good to plan on ordering a large amount at once or going in with a few people... I love new places to buy from!

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:58 AM   #9
javede
Knitting the Flap

No, your definately not out of it! Being a univesity student, I mostly can't afford expensive yarns too. Actually I'm going to apply for a job today to support my crafting (and of course my studies-computer stuff and books are quite expensive too :? ).
Anyway, I always look for sales or go to fleamarkets(can't wait for spring when fleamarket-time starts around here!). I have used a lot of acrylic yarn sofar and had no problems at all. Though I mostly like to go to the Lys(yes, there are a bunch here-lucky me :D ), it's just for looking. I seldomely buy anything there. I did get an odd look at one of them when I told them the hat I was wearing was made out of Acrylic yarn. I never went back to that one...
Just don't let those snobs bother you, they are the ones missing something out!
javede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:16 AM   #10
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

YarnMommy, what a great idea to get yarn through FreeCycle! That never occured to me, I've only been a member for a couple weeks.

I should mention that if you go to knitpicks, it's their own brand yarn that you really want to check out (cheap!!!) -- click here.

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote