Old 02-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
maclady387
Casting On

question about circular knitting
I bought some circular needles and try about 10 stitches on the needle but it didnt look like the video am I doing something wrong and also I bought a book with big needles and most of the project are on circular needles HELP carolyn :(
maclady387 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2005, 03:22 AM   #2
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

Circular needles work in two ways; in the round, and flat.

If you're working flat, you cast on the number of stitches needed, work across until you run out of stitches, then turn the whole contraption to the other side (where the stitch side that the feed yarn ended now becomes the end that the feed yarn will start - you will probably need to push the stitchs over the cable/needles to get it to the oposite needle) and work across again. So, just like regular strait needles, only they are connected by a cord in the middle.

In the round, you work *wider in diameter* than the needles. For example. I'm making a fisherman's beenie for my BF. It will be approximatly 21" in diameter, with streachyness. I'm working on 16" circular needles. This causes some minor bunching on the stitches I'm not working.

If I'm not in any way helping, let us know and hopfully someone will clarify!
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Just a thought, but if your only working 10 sts in the round on circulars, then it would look odd b/c circulars are just too much for only 10 sts. I'd use double pointed needles for 10 sts.

If you're just experimenting with knitting in the round on circular needles, cast on more sts.

Hope that helps...

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
maclady387
Casting On

circular needles
I think I am cast on wrong because it look like to me you have to piece of thread at the same end and i dont what am I doing wrong help
Old 02-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not sure what's going on from your description, so I'll try to describe the steps and throw in some pictures.

First of all, try to knit flat before trying to knit in the round. It will make more sense to start.

For knitting flat:
Cast on stitches. This is one of the most effective, simple cast ons around; I use it pretty much exclusively for everything.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ques/index.php
It's the first one, called Long Tail or Continental Cast On.

In the first picture, you'll see ten cast on stitches with both the tail end of the yarn and the yarn going to the ball, which we'll call the feed yarn, coming from the same place on the needles. This is as it should be. The picture is a little decieving becase it looks like they are coming out of different ends; they're not, it's just a bad picture :) You will ignore the tail yarn while you knit... when you are done with your piece, there are ways to weave it in so it disapears into your work, but you will pay it no more mind now.

In the second picture, I'm holding the needle with the stitches in my left hand. The yarn over my fingers is the feed yarn, the yarn going to the ball. It is very important that you do not inadvertantly pick up the tail yarn and knit with it; you'll just have to pull out a lot of stitches and start over. I absent mindedly do that periodically and it can get very irritating :) The empty needle, that we'll call the working needle (as you will work the stitches over on to it) is on the right and you will hold that with your right hand.

Begin to knit. You will be knitting stitches from off the left needle onto the right, working needle. See the video's on Amy's site if you get hung up. The third picture is mid way through the row. The tail yarn is left alone, and the feed yarn is attatched to the stitches on the right working needle now.

The forth picture is looking at your completed row. The feed yarn is now coming off the end of the needle, towards the point. The tail yarn is on the other side, still ignored.

The fifth picture (in the post below; I ran out of room in this one) is of the work turned, or flipped over so what was the right working needle that you just worked all your stitches onto is now in your left hand. The feed yarn is coming off the tip. The empty needle is now the right, and has now become your working needle.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

If this doesn't solve the problem, let us know. I'm sure someone can try to explain. However, going to a yarn store near you will probably help a great deal; there will almost certianly be someone there who can help you sort it out.
Attached Images:

Old 02-23-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

The final picture.
Attached Images:

Old 02-24-2005, 03:15 AM   #7
maclady387
Casting On

circular knitting needles
Thank you I just love this sight :D
Old 04-21-2006, 03:09 AM   #8
kwebb88
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to kwebb88
Awesome
I have looked and looked and asked a lot of questions about using circular needles to "flat knit". I was wary and didn't buy circular needles at all until I read this and saw the pictures. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. It makes sense now.

Keri
kwebb88 is offline   Reply With Quote